Peter Stamm ( born January 18, 1963 in Scherzingen, Canton Thurgau ) is a Swiss writer.
Peter Stamm was born in 1963 as the son of an accountant in Scherzingen and grew up with three siblings in Rheinfelden in the canton of Thurgau wine on. He had been challenged by its own account at school and have therefore spent a lot of time early in his fantasy world. After primary and secondary school graduated tribe from 1979 to 1982 an apprenticeship and worked occasionally as an accountant. On the second chance he passed the Matura.
Strain has many refusals on his first literary attempts. His first three novels found a publisher. The fourth novel Agnes, he began writing at 29, was not published until six years later. After strain 1987 for half a year had studied English literature at the University of Zurich and then spent six months in New York, he changed the subject in psychology with psychopathology and computer science as a minor; in addition, he worked as an intern at various psychiatric hospitals. The choice of studies, he explains from further literary interest: he wanted to know more about the people as the subject of literature. The demolition of the psychology studies was the conscious decision to put the letter into the center of his life. Now he only had to write the election or return to work as an accountant.
After extended stays in New York, Paris and Scandinavia, Peter Stamm in 1990 took up residence in Winterthur. Here he worked primarily as a journalist, which he first made possible the publication of his texts. Master worked for the Neue Zürcher Zeitung, Tages-Anzeiger, the world week and the satirical magazine Nebelspalter. From 1997 he was one of the editors of the literary magazine designs on. From 1998 to 2003 he lived in Zurich, since again in Winterthur. After the success with his first novel and the following publications journalistic activity came more and more into the background compared to the literature, to which he is now concentrated. Since 2003 strain is a member of the association, " authors of Switzerland ». His current residence is Winterthur.
Peter Stamm is the author of narrative prose, radio dramas and plays. It is characterized by its distanced narration and his simple style, which consists of short main clauses and almost completely do without decorative adjectives, metaphors or comparisons. Strain describes himself that his style strongly based on a repeated reduction of the written word. The more trodden the language in the background, the more real would the drawn pictures.
Master writes in his own words, " about people and about relationships between people ." Recurring themes are the manifold ways of love relationships, the impossibility of love, distance and proximity, as well as the relationship between image and reality. This stand in his work not the content, but on the way something is told. That's why he choose not original content, which distracted from the quality of the text.
- Everything about the man. Illustrations of Brigitte Fries. Nebelspalter, Rorschach 1995, ISBN 3-7654-1968-0.
- Gotthard. The stone soul of Switzerland. Photos by Markus Bühler. AS, Zurich 1997, ISBN 3-905111-22-5.
- Agnes. Novel. Ark, Zurich, 1998; Fischer Taschenbuch, Frankfurt am Main 2009, ISBN 978-3-596-17912-1.
- Black ice. Narratives. Ark, Zurich 1999; Fischer Taschenbuch, Frankfurt am Main 2011, ISBN 978-3-596-19255-7.
- Approximate landscape. Ark, Zurich 2001; Fischer Taschenbuch, Frankfurt am Main 2010, ISBN 978-3-596-18824-6.
- Grace. Narrative. In: Barney culture. Number 9, Bremen 2001, ISSN 0947-0697.
- In foreign gardens. Ark, Zurich 2003, ISBN 3-7160-2317-5; btb, Munich 2005, ISBN 3-442-73244-1.
- Why we live outside the city. Illustrations by Jutta Bauer. Beltz & Gelberg, Weinheim 2005, ISBN 3-407-79875- X ( children's book ).
- On a day like this. Novel. S. Fischer, Frankfurt am Main 2006, ISBN 3-10-075125-6; Paperback, ibid 2007, ISBN 978-3-596-17383-9.
- We're flying. Narratives. S. Fischer, Frankfurt am Main 2008, ISBN 978-3-10-075128-7; Paperback, ibid 2009, ISBN 978-3-596-17803-2.
- Heidi. Images of Hannes Binder. Nagel & Kimche, Munich 2008, ISBN 978-3-312-00982-4 ( children's book ).
- Seven years. Novel. S. Fischer, Frankfurt am Main 2009, ISBN 978-3-10-075126-3; Paperback, ibid 2011, ISBN 978-3-596-17384-6.
- Lake Ridge. Narratives. S. Fischer, Frankfurt am Main 2011, ISBN 978-3-10-075133-1; Paperback, ibid 2012, ISBN 978-3-596-18995-3.
- The Swiss Robinson. By Johann David Wyss. Retold by Peter Stamm. Willi glass Auer ( images ), Peter von Matt ( epilogue ). S. Fischer, Frankfurt am Main 2012, ISBN 978-3-596-85507-0.
- Night is the day. S. Fischer, Frankfurt am Main, 2013, ISBN 978-3-10-075134-8.
- Foreign go. Play for 2 people. UA Theatre in 1230, Bern 1995
- The planning of the plan. Monologue. UA: Schauspielhaus Zurich, 2001
- Contributes Après Soleil or Whom the wind to the island. UA: Schauspielhaus Zurich, February 2003 Director: Christiane Pohle
- The kiss of Kohaku. UA: Deutsches Schauspielhaus, April 2004 Director: Florian Fiedler
- The daughters of pigeons grove. UA: Lucerne Theatre, November 2004, directed by Christina Rest
- I and the others. Zurich 1991
- The Night of the habits. Zurich 1993
- In Vitro. Zurich 1994
- The last car driver. Basel 1995
- Portrait of a boy with a whip. Basel 1995
- Demise. Cologne 1997 ( = radio play version of foreign going )
- Agnes. Bremen 1997
- Night fight or the art of tea - path. Basel 1999
- Werum mer wohned before de Schtadt. Zurich 1999 ( Swiss Radio Drama Award 2000)
- Passion. SWR 2000
- What we can. Cologne 2000
- Black ice. Cologne 2001
- The Silence of the flowers. Basel 2004
- The kiss of Kohaku. Baden -Baden 2005
- Flotsam. Berlin 2005
- Why we live outside the city. Speaker: Samuel Weiss, Anikó Donáth. Music: Max Lasser. 1 audio CD. Hörcompany, Hamburg 2005, ISBN 3-935036-66-3.
- Service days. Swiss writer and their military. Nagel & Kimche, Munich 2003, ISBN 3-312-00330- X.
- Susan Musgrave: you keep dreaming a bathtub. Reinhardt, Basel 2002, ISBN 3-7245-1205-8 ( children's book ).