Petit -Palais- et- Cornemps is a commune with 737 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2011) in the Gironde department in the region of Aquitaine. Today's local name arose as a result of the merger of two originally independent neighboring communities during the period of the French Revolution.
The two districts of Petit -Palais- et- Cornemps are close to the source of the river palace and are about 20 km ( driving distance ) north-east of Libourne or a good 15 km away also in the northeast of Saint- Émilion.
In the municipality of wine production for centuries. The wines are marketed through the appellations of Bordeaux and Bordeaux Supérieur.
The history of the two merged in the 19th century districts is like nothing published so well; we know only of destruction in 1587 during the Wars of Religion.
- The Church of St -Pierre in the district of Petit- Palais is situated in the local cemetery and has a surprisingly sophisticated - and even the tympanum inclusive - facade in poitevinischen style (see Notre -Dame- la -Grande de Poitiers, St- Hilaire de Melle, St- Pierre d' Aulnay, Prieuré St- Nicolas de Civray ). You probably originates from the late 12th or early 13th century, and has already been recognized in 1846 as a monument historique. recognized. Whether it is possibly is a former priory or collegiate, is unclear; in a list from the year 1398 it is in any case out as ' parish church '. All parts of the facade are extremely plastically worked and decoratively - on figural jewelry is largely omitted. How many church doors in the southwest of France (eg Aubeterre -sur- Dronne, Chalais or ) is serrated, the inner arc of the Archivolts portal. Although the facade with its triumphal arch pattern in the portal zone and its vertically distinguished service bundles suggests a Dreischiffigkeit the church, the church interior is only one nave and gives a rather defensive and little by affiliated impression. That the ribbed vaulting in the interior correspond to the original state, is rather unlikely - in the 17th, 18th and 19th century works were in any case carried out on the vaults.
- The Église Notre Dame in about two kilometers away, the district Cornemps has seen better days, as the remains of - make facade of the former church clear - today freestanding. Probably it is even a former abbey church, which was early ( perhaps as early as the 14th century ) converted into a parish church. This was destroyed during the French Wars of Religion, which was then in ruins for several years before it was reduced in the 17th century and received a completely new facade unadorned. The almost windowless building with its high outer walls gives the appearance of a fortified church. Inside the nave building, entirely unadorned; The choir area is increased compared to the nave by a few steps. The church ruin is recognized as a monument historique since 1925.