The Piazzale Michelangelo is a vantage point in the Tuscan city of Florence, which is mainly known for views of the city. It was created in 1865 by the architect and urban planner Giuseppe Poggi. Florence was then the capital of Italy in the short term and in this context it came to ambitious construction and " renovation " projects modeled after the reconstruction of Paris by Georges- Eugène Haussmann, which continued to operate until the turn of the century from 1900. There the quays along the Arno were created, today's Piazza della Repubblica and one of the first measures, an eight -mile scenic road on the hill of San Miniato, called Viale dei Colli, conceived as the center and summit of Poggi Piazzale Michelangelo. From Poggi who also wrote the gazebo in the Classical style in the background of the square, which was first used as Michelangelo Museum, was after a few years, but turned into a panoramic restaurant.
Bronze copies of some of Michelangelo's works, such as the David and the four allegories of Mediceerkapellen of San Lorenzo decorate the place.
From Piazzale looks out onto the center of Florence, from the Forte Belvedere and the church of Santa Croce on the Ponte Vecchio, the Duomo, Palazzo Vecchio, the Bargello, to the hills on the northern edge of the city, such as those of Fiesole.
The expansive space is now a focal point of coach tourism.