Pierre Galet ( born January 28, 1921 in Monaco) is one of the world's leading experts on ampelography.
During his tenure at the University of Montpellier École nationale supérieure agronomique de Montpellier ( Ensam ) took Galet there over the Chair of Viticulture. Galet was pioneering in the field of ampelography in the following years his work at the Institute until today.
As of 1952, Pierre Galet a new scientific approach in his tray. He created a system for the classification of vine basis of objective characteristics and thus describing 9600 different varieties. As a renowned Ampelograf Galet had established contacts worldwide, including over political boundaries. Research trips also led him to Afghanistan, Nepal, North Africa, North America, South America, South Korea, Thailand and Cyprus, where he judged wild vines and hybrids on the basis of their phenotype. In 1967, he finally published his doctoral thesis Recherches sur les entitled méthodes d' identification et de classification of the zones Vitacces tempérées. In this work he described and systematized the wild vines that he gathered over the years and judged.
For its globally recognized achievements, he was awarded the title of " Officier de l' Ordre du Mérite Agricole " and numerous other honors.
His work Dictionnaire encyclopédique of cépages, from 2000, published by Hachette, is considered the standard work of the description of vines particular, it contains precise illustrations of the characteristic values of the grape varieties.
- Maladies de la Vigne et Parasites 2 volumes in 1977 1982
- Pierre Galet: Dictionnaire encyclopédique of cépages. Hachette Pratique, Paris 2000, ISBN 2-01-236331-8.
- Précis d' ampelography pratique, Galet, 2001. ISBN 2,902,771,029th
- Grands cépages, Hachette Pratique, coll « Livret du Vin ", 2006. ISBN 2012370810th
- With Pierre Casamayor and Antoine Lebègue: Dictionnaire des vins de France, Hachette Pratique, coll « Livret du Vin ", 2001 ISBN 2012365825. .
- The Chardonnay. A Frenchman and world citizens. in: Vinum. 8 Zurich, 1987, 6, pp. 26-28.
- Officier de l' Ordre du Mérite agricole