PKP class EU20
The locomotives of the series E05 ( 1958: Series EU20 ) were universal electric locomotives of the Polish State Railways (PKP ).
Lack of established state-owned production of electric locomotives were the PKP instructed in the 1950s on imports. As early as 1954, the VEB locomotive electrotechnical works Hans Beimler Hennigsdorf Series E04 (later referred to as EU04 series ), a four-axis universal locomotive, procured. 1955 six-axle variant was developed as E05 based on the E04. The structure was correspondingly longer, the engines of the E04 have been applied, the bogies were carried out in three axes. The E05 -01 was the first six-axle electric locomotive PKP.
1956 began series production of the E05. By 1958, a total of 34 locomotives were built. To better distinguish the six-axle electric locomotives was the renumbering of the series in EU20. While four-axle locomotives were imported from different countries, the EU20 imports were the only six-axle electric locomotives. As the successor to the series was built ET21 at Pafawag from 1957.
The EU20 were home during their time in Piotrków. They were mainly used in freight service. The decommissioning took place from 1976 to 1981, EU20 -24 remained in the Railway Museum in Warsaw.