Pohja [ pɔhjɑ ], swedish Pojo, is a former municipality in the south of Finland. She joined the beginning of 2009 with Ekenäs and Karis to the city Raseborg together.
Pohja is in the countryside Uusimaa 80 km west of the capital Helsinki. The municipality had an area of 247.75 km ² (of which 23.09 km ² inland waters). The population was 4,936 last of which 38 % Finland Sweden. Officially Pohja was bilingual with Finnish as majority and Swedish as a minority language.
Capital of the province was the Kirchdorf Pohja, which has 1816 inhabitants and at the end of the narrow bay Pohjanpitäjänlahti ( Pojovik ) is. The bay extends about 20 km into the inland and has a deep-water shipping channel for cargo ships. For the former municipality of Pohja further settlements Billnäs (Finnish Pinjainen 1267 inhabitants), Fiskars (Finnish Fiskari, 569 inhabitants), Åminnefors ( 481 inhabitants), Björsby - Mörby ( 384 inhabitants), Antskog include ( Ansku ) ( 113 inhabitants ) Ekerö (110 inhabitants) and Kuovila (92 inhabitants).
Pohja is considered the birthplace of the metal industry in Finland. In the 17th century there arose the ironworks Antskog (1630 ), Billnäs ( 1641) and Fiskars ( 1649), the so-called " Solingen Finland ". The same company Fiskars, there is still, and today scissors, axes and knives forth. The company is still the largest employer of Pohja.
Pohja situated on the Royal Road, the old way of the Swedish kings from Turku to Vyborg. Today, the Royal Route is a tourist route. The main attractions of Pohja are the historic ironworks and the stone church was built in 1480.