Village center of Ponthaux with church
Ponthaux (? Freiburg Patois Ponta / i ) is a municipality in the District de la Sarine ( German: Sarine district) of the Canton of Fribourg in Switzerland.
Ponthaux situated 650 meters above sea level. M., 9 km west of the capital of the canton of Fribourg (air line). The farming village extends on a high plateau and in the slight depression of the stream Ruisseau des Chaudeires, in Molassehügelland of Fribourg Mittelland.
The area of 6.0 km ² municipal area includes a portion of the Molassehöhen between the Broyeebene in the northwest and the Glânetal in the southeast. The largest part of the municipal area is occupied by gently rolling plateau of Ponthaux being dewatered on the one hand by the Ruisseau des Chaudeires west to Arbogne, on the other hand by the village stream Grolley north to Chandon. In the west of the municipality floor extends to the edge of the forest La Bandeire (660 m above sea level. M. ) in the headwaters of Chandon. To the east the area extends over the height Le Boulex (708 m above sea level. M. ) to the Forêt de l'Etat, in the 738 m above sea level. M. the highest point of Ponthaux is achieved. A small proportion of the community spell in the southeast, in the catchment area of Sonnaz. From the municipality surface 1997 6 % came from settlements, 23 % of forest and woody plants and 71% to agriculture.
To Ponthaux include the village Nierlet -les -Bois ( 674 m above sea level. M. ) on the western foot of the hill of the forest Forêt de l'Etat and various individual courtyards. Neighboring communities of Ponthaux are Grolley, Autafond, Chésopelloz, Noreaz, Montagny and Léchelles.
With 681 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012) Ponthaux one of the smaller municipalities in the canton of Fribourg. Of the 89.1% inhabitants are French-speaking, German-speaking 8.8 % and 0.8 % speak Portuguese (as of 2000). The population of Ponthaux amounted in 1900 to 350 inhabitants. During the 20th century, the population fluctuated in the range of 320-380 inhabitants. Since 1970 (336 inhabitants) a significant population growth was recorded.
Ponthaux was until the second half of the 20th century, mainly coined by farming village. Even today, the farming, fruit growing, dairy farming and livestock have an important place in the economic structure of the population. More jobs are available in the local retail and service sectors, including in a machine shop. In recent decades, the village has developed into a residential community. Many workers are therefore commuters who work mainly in the region of Freiburg.
The community is located off the major thoroughfares on a road from Prez -vers- Noreaz after Grolley. By Bus Transports Publics Fribourgeois that leads from Freiburg to Nierlets -les- Bois, Ponthaux is connected to the public transport network.
The first written mention of the village was carried out in 1142 under the name Pontet. Later, the names Pontouz published ( 1170 ) and Pontouzen ( 1294 ). The place name is derived from the Latin word pons ( bridge). Since the Middle Ages Ponthaux belonged to the rule Montagny. In 1447 the village was cremated in the war of Freiburg against the Savoy of the former.
By buying Ponthaux came in 1478 under the rule of Freiburg and the Bailiwick Montagny has been assigned. After the collapse of the ancien régime (1798 ) belonged to the village during the Helvetic Republic to the district Payerne, from 1803 to the district Montagny and in 1815 the district of Freiburg, before it was incorporated in 1848 with the new cantonal constitution in the Sarine district. On January 1, 1981, until then independent municipality Nierlet -les -Bois was incorporated into Ponthaux.
The parish church of Saint- Maurice was built in 1882. A chapel is located in Nierlet -les -Bois.
Interior of the church
Church windows and paintings inside the church