Port Charlotte, Islay
Port Charlotte (Gaelic: Port Sgioba ) is a village on the Scottish island of Islay and thus belongs administratively to the Unitary Authority Argyll and Bute. Port Charlotte is located in the Rhinns of Islay mentioned southwest part of the island on the western shore of Loch Indaal.
The village was founded in 1828 by Walter Frederick Campbell and named after his mother. Port Charlotte was home to two nationally significant whiskey distilleries, Lochindaal (also called Port Charlotte ) and Octomore. Lochindaal was founded in 1829 and closed 100 years later, Octomore was operated 1816-1852. The nearby Bruichladdich distillery but currently expended own whiskey with the brand name Octomore (very heavily peated ) and Port Charlotte (heavily peated ). In addition, Bruichladdich 2007 announced the reopening of the Port Charlotte distillery. The opening is planned for 2016 ..
Pier of Port Charlotte
Remains of the Port Charlotte Distillery