Postimees is one of the most important newspapers in Estonia. It is after the tabloid SL Õhtuleht the highest circulation and most influential newspaper in the country. Postimees means on German postman. It appears in an Estonian and a Russian-language edition.


With a decree by Emperor Alexander II Perno Postimees ehk Näddalileht received in 1856 permission to print. She appeared from 1857-1863 in Pärnu than eight-page weekly newspaper in Estonian. Ultimate editor of Perno Postimees was the publicist Johann Voldemar Jannsen. The second formative Estonian newspaper of the time of appearing in Tartu Tallorahwa Postimees, who had received permission to print the same year, had to cease publication after two years of work already.

1864 retired from Jannsen from Perno Postimees and gave together with the publisher Laakman a competing newspaper, the Eesti Postimees, out, the soon Perno Postimees overtook in popularity. Both newspapers played in the period of national awakening in the second half of the 19th century a large role in the formation of an Estonian national consciousness.

1882 sold Jannsen Eesti Postimees, which was conducted from 1882 to 1885 by Karl August Hermann. In 1884, Karl August Hermann the newspaper itself and moved the editorial office to Tartu.

Pärnu Postimees still existed until 1885 on. Under the leadership of Hermann appeared in 1886 in Tartu as a successor sheet newspaper newly founded Postimees, first as a weekly newspaper (1886 /87), then 1887-91, three times per week. 1891 Postimees was the first Estonian daily. Both Eesti Postimees as well Postimees were the voice of the opponents of the tsarist Russifizierungbemühungen in Estonia. 1896 sold Hermann Postimees to a homeowners association.

Co-owner was the Estonian journalist and politician Jaan Tõnisson. He was Postimees the decisive figure in the media landscape of 1918 founded the Republic of Estonia. From 1896-1930 he was the owner of Postimees 1896-1935 and its editor in chief.

With the Soviet occupation of Estonia in 1940, freedom of the press was abolished. Postimees came out since then as Communist- oriented newspaper and was on September 28, 1940 replaced by a communist Tartu ( until 24 June 1941). During the German occupation of Estonia, the newspaper was published on 13 July 1941 to 16 September 1944. Starting in August 1944, gave the Uus Postimees that the old name Postimees took back in early 1945. From 1 May 1948 to 1990, the Journal was as communist newspaper the name Edasi (forward ).

Postimees today

After the restoration of Estonian independence Postimees was founded in 1991. Owner is the Eesti Meedia group at the Norwegian publisher Schibsted Group holds 92.5 % of shares.

To Postimees Group also includes the regional newspapers Tartu Postimees, Pärnu Postimees, Sakala, Virumaa Teataja, Järvamaa Teataja and Valgamaalane. Since 1995 there is an Internet version. Since November 2005, a Russian-language edition of the newspaper, which is being published in an edition of 25,000 appears.

The main editorial office is located in Tallinn, a branch office in Tartu.