- Rishi Kapoor: Devdhar / Dev
- Padmini Kolhapure: Manorama / Rama
- Shammi Kapoor: Raja Thakur
- Kulbhushan Kharbanda: Virendra ' Vir ' Singh / Rama's father
- Tanuja: Raj Rani
- Nanda: Rama's mother
- Om Prakash: Poojari
- Leela Mishra: Bua
- Raza Murad Raja Virendra Pratap Singh
- Vijayendra Ghatge: Kunwar Narendra Pratap Singh
- Sushma Seth: Badi Maa
- Kiran Vairale: Radha
Devdhar is an orphan and comes from a poor family. To begin the study of medicine in the city, he is financially supported by the rich priest Raja Thakur. Even so, he has a good relationship with the Thakur, especially with his niece Manorama.
Eight years later, he comes to visit the village. At the station, he sees immediately the now adult Manorama and falls in love with her, but never dared to confess his love and hopes that they will fall in love with him.
However, his dreams burst when Rama a marriage proposal from the rich nobles Narendra Pratap Singh gets. According to Hindu rituals the horoscopes of the two are compared. Thus, the stars are not bad for the couple, forcing Rama's father, Virendra Singh, the astrologer Poojari to write a new horoscope for Manorama.
It is celebrated a magnificent wedding and Manorama moved into the house of her husband. Four days after the wedding Narendra accident in a car accident. Now the young Rama must adhere to the strict life of a widow. Unfortunately for her she is also raped by her brother Raja Virendra Pratap Singh. She returns to her parents' house and just told her mother about the terrible incident.
As Devdhar on his next visit of Manoramas new life experiences, he tries to put a smile on her face again. But for the villagers is this behavior for a widow not befitting. However, Devdhar holds this strict and old rule as untimely. Therefore, he makes Manorama in public a marriage proposal and even though he knows that to marry a widow, in contrast to a widower who is not allowed a second time.
This makes for even more turmoil especially in Manoramas father who Devdhar wants to punish it. Raja Thakur asks Devdhar with Manorama to flee when his plan to take Rama as a woman, is not accepted by society. Devdhar not afraid and faces the challenge. He skillfully brings the people to his side, the men turn against Virendra Singh. Ultimately Devdhar achieved his goal and takes Rama to his wife. He removes outdated traditions, which are made from rich families to keep the common people among them, and which women suffer the most.
Filmfare Award 1983
- Filmfare Award / Best Director Raj Kapoor
- Filmfare Award / Best Editing to Raj Kapoor
- Filmfare Award / Best Actress at Padmini Kolhapure
- Filmfare Award / Best lyrics of Santosh Anand for the song Mohabbat Hai Kya Cheez
- Filmfare Award / Best Actor at Rishi Kapoor
- Filmfare Award / Best Film to Raj Kapoor
- Filmfare Award / Best Supporting Actress Nanda
- Filmfare Award / Best Story of Kamna Chandra
- Filmfare Award / Best Music of Laxmikant Pyarelal -
- Filmfare Award / Best lyrics at Amri Qazalbash for the song Meri Kismat Tu Me
- Filmfare Award / Best Actor at Suresh Wadkar for the song Meri Kismat Tu Me
- Filmfare Award / Best Actor at Suresh Wadkar for the song Main Hoon Prem Rogi