Prichsenstadt is a city in the Lower Franconian district of Kitzingen.

  • 2.1 Amalgamations
  • 3.1 Coat of Arms
  • 4.1 cemetery
  • 4.2 monuments
  • 5.1 traffic
  • 6.1 Sons and daughters of the town


Geographical Location

Prichsenstadt lies in the Franconian wine country between Main and Steigerwald. By vilage Brünnau, Neuses am Sand, Stadel Schwarzach and foliage flows Schwarzach.


Prichsenstadt has eleven districts with 18 districts:

All districts were formerly independent communities. Rüdern was incorporated in 1870 after church Schönenbach. Kirch Schönenbach (including Rüdern ) and the eight other municipalities were amalgamated in 1972 in the course of municipal reform in Bavaria after Prichsenstadt.

The city Prichsenstadt sets out ten districts that correspond to the districts or municipalities with the exception of former Rüdern, which was largely seed off and incorporated in 1870 by Kirch Schönenbach. The district Rüdern thus part of the district church Schönenbach

Neighboring communities

Neighboring municipalities are (from north clockwise beginning ): Oberschwarzach, hostage wind, Wiesentheid, Volkach and Lülsfeld.


In a document of the Counts of Castell the place is first mentioned in 1258, when the Counts the knight Heinrich is transferred from ' Briese village ' as treasurer fief. 1367 Prichsenstadt received IV awarded city rights by the Emperor Charles. Then it went from Bohemia in the possession of his son, King Wenceslaus. After several confrontations of the place came into the possession of the Viscount of Nuremberg, and in later to the Margrave of Brandenburg. Several times had the townspeople suffer severe damage: 1492 by the Bishop of Würzburg Johann III. Grumbach and 1632 by imperial troops from the camp of Wallenstein, and in the following years by a nomadic marauding bunch. 1803 Prichsenstadt from 1792 now Prussian Principality of Ansbach, which lay in the Frankish Empire Circle from 1500, to the Electorate of Bavaria.

At least since the 19th century Jewish families in the village were resident who formed a Jewish community and in the Freihofgasse 2 their synagogue and their school house erected. Both buildings were destroyed during the pogrom of November 1938 by SA men and have since been used for other purposes. At the cemetery wall is a memorial plaque at this event and the persecution and extermination of the Jewish population during the Holocaust.

Today's large community Prichsenstadt with its 10 districts created by the municipal reform in 1972. Until this year belonged to the district of Prichsenstadt Gerolzhofen.


On 1 July 1972, the formerly independent communities Altenschönbach, Bimbach Brünnau, Järkendorf, church Schönenbach, leaves, Neudorf, Neuses were incorporated in the sand and Stadel Schwarzach.


Coat of arms

  • Blazon
  • Coat of Arms history

Culture and sights

A well- preserved medieval town ( cobblestones, Fachwerk-/Steinhäuser and gates ) await the visitor. There is a private Fossil and Mineral Museum (admission free ) as well as the night watchman, the nightly turns his rounds through the numerous dining establishments and visitors dedicated a serenade.

In Bimbach there is a late-baroque castle dating back to 1703 and the remains of a Celtic Viereckschanze.

West Gate side of the field

West Gate, City side

Houses on Karlsplatz

Town hall

City ​​Tower


Evangelical Church

Evangelical Church


In the Middle Ages saw in the immediate vicinity of the Blessed Sacrament with the relics of an entitlement to the redemption of the dead at the resurrection. This effect also applied to the consecrated churchyard. Outside the cemetery and city walls were outcasts their place in unconsecrated ground. Through the Reformation that changed fundamentally. The believers relied on the saving Passion of the Lord for each one. Cemeteries were created mainly in Protestant dominions outside now.

This resulted in 1605 in front of the western gate of the churchyard with free-standing pulpit and arcade. This year and later necessary repairs are recorded in stone the pulpit. A similar system is also to be found in Main Bernheim, Wiesenbronn, Repperndorf, Marktsteft and Abtswind.


→ List of monuments in Prichsenstadt

Economy and infrastructure

To the east of the city (just near the B 286) a commercial area is planned. It will be represented only retail trade and crafts and some service providers.

The company MERO has your production facility in Prichsenstadt.


The community area of Prichsenstadt is crossed by two major roads:

  • The B 22 opens up the districts leaves, Stadel Schwarzach, Neuses on sand and Neudorf.
  • The B 286 has an exit in Neuses on sand, at the intersection with the B 22 via the B 286 can be reached in southbound with a journey time of approximately 10 minutes, the Federal Highway 3 (AS- Wiesentheid ).

The railway line Kitzingen -Schweinfurt, the tangent to the districts Järkendorf, Stadel Schwarzach and Prichsenstadt is no longer used. Also special trips (eg from the Patrons Steigerwald Express ) are no longer performed. Freight transport is set for some time.


Sons and daughters of the town

  • Johann Sebastian Hörlein ( born March 17, 1871 in Brünnau; † August 30, 1908 in Plain, Queensland, Australia), missionary
  • Frederick Funk ( born October 3, 1900 in Neuses on sand; † August 5, 1963 ), German politician ( CSU), MP
  • Michael Glos ( born December 14, 1944 in Brünnau ), German politician ( CSU), MP