Puck [ puʦk ] ( German Puck, Puck Kashubian ) is a port city and county at the Gdańsk Bay about 30 kilometers north of Gdynia in the Pomeranian Voivodeship in Poland. Puck has about 11,300 inhabitants.
The Gmina Puck is a rural community, which has its headquarters in Puck, to which the city itself but not heard.
- 8.1 Literature
- 8.2 External links
- 8.3 footnotes
After Goldbeck the first village of the Pomeranian princes Bugislaus († 1150 ) was applied, which gave her the name Bugustin and adjacent to it the Gulf of the Baltic Sea, the later Puck Bay, Buguswick have called. The place came in 1308 along with Dantzike the western Prussia. The city rights were granted place in 1348 by the Teutonic Knights, who called him Bautzig. Later, the city was also called Pautzke, resulting finally Puck was. Along with other places in Prussia entered the city at the Prussian Confederation, of the ( 10 February 1454) the emperor's daughter Elisabeth of Habsburg renounced in the year of her marriage to the Jagiellonian Casimir IV of the Teutonic Order.
Pautzke was with the Second Peace of Thorn in 1466 as the seat of the Royal Star East. Until 1544, the area of Puck had found some time in the mortgage owned by the city of Danzig, which this property, however, after payment of a lump sum of 6,000 Hungarian, and Prussian 2,000 guilders by the Polish king had to go again. Since the city of Danzig did not allow chartered for the Polish king ships in Danzig territory, had this 1567 moored in the small fishing port on the Pautzke Pautzker Wiek. In 1626 the city was conquered by Sweden, taken in 1627 of Poland, in 1703 finally occupied again by the Swedes.
At the time of partition of Poland came to town in the western Prussia Kingdom of Prussia. 1789 Puck was one of the four cities of the Dirschauer circle, and later to the district of Neustadt (West Prussia ); 1878 Puck was county seat. By 1835, Puck had a Catholic church, a Protestant church and a synagogue. In 1898 the city received a railway station on the route from Rheda, which was later extended nor north to Properly Krokowa and Hel Peninsula.
From 1919, the city was in the Polish Corridor, which was ceded by the Treaty of Versailles in Poland. Here, the Polish general Józef Haller of Hallenburg took place on February 10, 1920, the ceremony of the " Marriage of Poland to the sea ". The day is celebrated annually ever since. In the interwar period was Putzig the headquarters of the Polish Navy founded in 1918 and the only Polish Baltic Sea port before Gdynia was expanded in the 1920s to a large military harbor.
The city is one of the strongholds of the culture of Kashubian.
- Germany Since March 6, 2001, a partnership between the counties of Puck and Trier -Saar castle, which became the twinning of Puck with the German town of Konz from the November 14, 2003. Other sister cities are
- Germany 's Stone ( Middle Franconia ) and
- Poland Cieszyn Silesia.
- Germany Between Puck and the Lower Saxony Samtgemeinde Oldendorf on July 8, 2005, a partnership.
The unusual coat of arms of Puck shows in blue a golden lion gnawing on a silver salmon. According to a legend the old coat of arms showed only the silver fish in blue, the lion is the coat of arms of King Charles VIII have been attached ( Sweden) ( Karl Knutsson Bonde ), which held the city in the years 1457-1460 as a pledge, and comes from the lions of the Goths ( Göta Lejon ) in the Great State Coat of Arms of Sweden. At the crest history, there is also an old Kashubian Legend: a salmon and an eel fought for dominance in the Baltic Sea. Tired and exhausted, intertwined, they were close to death. Suddenly they approached a boat on which sat a lion. The lion took the eel in his boat, while the liberated salmon swam to Puck harbor. In Puck arrived, the lion took the salmon in its mouth and carried him up to the spire of the Town Hall. Since both animals are inseparably united in the arms of the city.
- Town Hall of 1865
- Museum of the Puck country
- Parish Church of St. Peter and Paul
- Town houses on the market ( pl. Wolności )
- Newly created marina
Rural community Puck
For the rural municipality puck following towns include:
- Hilmar Kopper, born 1935 in Osłonino (German Oslanin ), German Bank Manager and from 1989 to 1997 CEO of Deutsche Bank.
- Wladyslaw Szymanski, * 1901 in Klein Dommatau (now Domatówko ) shot, Polish priest in 1940 in the concentration camp Stutthof.