Pymble, New South Wales
Pymble is a suburb of Sydney in New South Wales. It is located 16 km north- west of the Sydney CBD in the administrative area of Ku-ring -gai Council. West Pymble is a separate suburb of Lane Cove National Park.
The present town was founded by Robert Pymble Pymble (1776-1861), an influential settlers. He was awarded in 1823 by the state an area of approximately 2.5 square kilometers, thus about half of today's urban area. The other half took over Daniel Matthew 's, who built the first sawmills in the region.
Even before the first settlement of the region were living members of the tribe of Cammeraygal on the territory of Pymble. They held regularly corroborees and " beat on the hill at the intersection of Merrivale Road and Selwyn Street camp on ". According to reports by Robert Pymble II, son of the town's founder, " the Aborigines 1856, mainly because of smallpox almost disappeared" were.
Shortly after the founding of Sydney's Pymble played an important role, especially for the construction industry, because from there came large wooden deliveries of different eucalyptus species. Over time, however, changed the landscape, and the local settlers specialized in the area of fruit and vegetable growing. The region became famous for their quality perspective oranges that were cultivated from 1828 by more and more farmers. End of the 1870s, the scenery changed again and more and more residential and commercial buildings were built. In 1883 opened with the Australian Joint Stock Bank, the first bank in Pymble. To headquartered on the Pymble Hill was formed first, the economic center of the city. Because of rail connection with the Pymble Railway Station but was at the foot of Pymble Hill, the focus of urban life shifted soon there. In the immediate vicinity of the railway station on August 6, 1890, the first branch of Australia Post.
Economy and infrastructure
Today, Pymble home to many commuters who work in the Sydney 16 kilometers away. The city lies on the Pacific Highway and is connected by trains operated by Sydney North Shore, Northern & Western Line to the public transport network of Sydney. From the Pymble Railway Station also operate the buses of the company Shore Link, the 579 use the Line to East Turramurra and 560 to West Pymble. The water is supplied via the built in 1900 Pymble Reservoir. The city has with Grand View Street, Pacific Highway and Bridge Street and West Street three commercial areas. Oldest school in the city is founded in 1916 Pymble Ladies' College, are taught at the girls aged five to 18 years and are among its graduates, among others, the actress Jacqueline McKenzie, the judge Elizabeth Evatt and the tennis player Sophie Ferguson. In addition to the public elementary school, which also Hugh Jackman attended, among others, the Catholic Church also maintains a primary school in Pymble.
Attractions and Recreation
On the Pymble Hill is the seat of Ku-ring -gai Council. The building was built in 1934 and originally served as a church. Today it is a protected monument. The oldest surviving, building in town is the Pymble Chapel. It was built in 1879 and housed the Methodist congregation in the city. The Built in 1938, St Swithun 's Anglican Church is located on the Telegraph Road and is the only church building in Australia, which is dedicated to St. Swithin. The Pymble Soldiers Memorial is located in the Mona Vale Road and commemorates the soldiers of the city that have fallen in various wars. In the urban area Pymbles will also find several parks and recreation areas. Among other things, it is found also in the Mona Vale Road, one of the last high forests of Sydney's blue eucalyptus.