Pyskowice [ pɨskɔvitsɛ ] ( German Peiskretscham ) is a city in the region of Upper Silesia in Gliwice powiat (district Gliwice ) in Silesia. The municipality on the river north of the city of Gliwice drama has about 19,000 inhabitants.
- 2.1 Place name
- 5.1 Town twinning
- 5.2 Coat of Arms
- 6.1 traffic
- 7.1 Sons and daughters of the town
- 7.2 Other personalities associated with the city
- 8.1 See also
- 8.2 Literature
- 8.3 External links
- 8.4 footnotes
Pyskowice bordered to the south by the independent city of Gliwice ( Gleiwitz ), in the west on the community Rudziniec and in the north on the community of Toszek.
For the first time today Pyskowice was mentioned on June 26, 1256.
According to an ancient tradition was located not far from the river a great drama Kretscham (Restaurant ). It is likely that the place was built around the Pyskowice Kretscham around the Kretscham so was the reason for the local establishment. This fact contributed to the fact that the place was also called Pyskowice Pisko - Kretscham ( Peiskretscham ).
Around the year 1327 was called the city Peisenchreschin.
1540 existed in Peiskretscham within the city walls of 34 houses on the ring and another 63 houses in the surrounding streets. Each house had a hop garden.
On 22 June 1822, when large parts of the population were absent on a pilgrimage in Annaberg or at the county fair in Lublinitz, the city was almost completely destroyed by a large fire. It burned 171 houses and 93 outbuildings.
1905 had Peiskretscham 4865 inhabitants, of whom 259 were Protestant inhabitants and 132 inhabitants Jewish.
In the referendum on March 20, 1921 voted in 2503 voters ( 73.6 % of the votes cast ) to remain in Germany, 895 in Poland ( 26.3 %). The turnout was 95.9 %. Peiskretscham remained with the German Reich ( Weimar Republic). 1933, the population rose to 7428 in 1939, it stood at 7716 inhabitants. By 1945, the place was in the district of Tost - Gleiwitz.
In 1945 the previously German place under Polish administration and renamed Pyskowice and joined the Silesian Voivodeship. The majority of the local population was displaced. In 1950, the city came to Katowice Voivodeship. In 1999 the place as a municipality to re-founded powiat Gliwice.
Since 1327 the name Piscowice and Peiskretscham coexisted. The shape Peiskretscham was first mentioned as " Peyzenchreschin " on 19 February 1327. The Latin name is Pasqua. In the 16th century, the term Weißkretscham occurred.
- 18th and 19th century in the old town and medieval ground plan of the old town
- Fountains and Marian column on the ring
- The (old ) City Hall from 1822; it houses the local museum of Pyskowice
- The Catholic parish church of St. Nicholas from the 15th century; it is the oldest building in the city. Gothic building.
- The Funeral Chapel of St. Stanislaus from the years 1865-1868
- The Protestant Church of St. Peter and Paul from 1897
- The Jewish cemetery dates back to 1830
In the 2002 census gave the 19 574 inhabitants of 16,671 people as a nationality "polish " to ( 85.2 %), 437 people gave " German " at (2.2%) and 369 subjects reported " Silesian " at ( 1.9 %). 524 inhabitants speak German ( 2.7%).
- La Rica Marie, France
- Tscherwonohrad, Ukraine
- Florsheim am Main, Germany. On 3 May 2005, the partnership agreement was signed in Pyskowice, on October 3, he was countersigned in Florsheim am Main.
Coat of arms
The coat of arms depicts two towers and a defensive wall represents the towers should go back to the earlier castle. In the meantime, was in the coat of arms instead of the defensive wall a crescent or a boat.
Economy and infrastructure
Great importance for the city was formerly the High street of Wroclaw to Krakow. The above mentioned Kretscham can be regarded as service area.
In the city the country road 40 starts after Głogówek which the Autostrada A4 crosses after about 13 kilometers. Furthermore, passes through the town the provincial road 94
An economic boom end of the 19th century had Peiskretscham thanks to the railroad because the railroad Opole large Strehlitz - Bytom runs through Peiskretscham and branches off a line here to Gleiwitz. The originally large marshalling yard has been closed down and almost completely canceled.
In addition, a sand rail line existed in the Upper Silesian industrial district.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Alfred Balthoff (1905-1989), German actor and voice actor
- Tomasz Bandrowski ( born 1984 ), Polish footballer
- Agata Buzek (born 1976 ), actress
- Helmut Kafka ( born 1940 ), former German football player and coach
- Grzegorz Kasprzik ( b. 1983 ), football goalkeeper
- Job Guenter Klink (1929-1980), German teacher and director of the Pedagogical University of Bremen
- Dieter Klink (1930-2004), German politician ( SPD), President of the Bremen state
- Herbert W. Köhler (1919-2001), German politician ( CDU)
- Jochen Martin ( b. 1936 ), German historian
- Sigmund Nunberg (1879-1950), German actor
- Szczeponik Thomas (1860-1927), German politician ( center ), member of the Reichstag
Other personalities associated with the city
- John Chrząszcz (1857-1928), state historian, 1890-1928 pastor in Pyskowice.