Location and data
Racalmuto located 23 kilometers northeast of Agrigento. The town has 8338 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012), who mainly work in agriculture and the rock salt.
The town was founded as an Arab village, the name was Rahl al - mudd. In the 14th century the town grew around the castle around.
The inhabitants speak a Sicilian dialect, which is very different from the high Italian language. That is, for example, the translation for the apple in Sicilian u Pumu, in Italian, however, la mela.
Both in the field and outside the village, there are sights to visit.
In the resort
- The parish church of Maria SS Annunziata, built in 1620
- San Giuseppe church from the 17th century
- The town hall in the former Santa Chiara Monastery
- The church of Santa Maria del Monte
Outside the village
- The Castle of Chiaramonte is now outside the resort, above the road to Montedoro.
- Toward Monteforo is a necropolis, the so-called Sarazenengräber.