Rafz is a municipality in the district of Bülach in the canton of Zurich in Switzerland.

Coat of arms



Rafz located near the German border at 424 m above sea level. M. (Post), the area of ​​the municipality is 1074 ha With a population of 3983 people (as of 2009 ), the proportion of women 50.1 %. In addition, 639 foreigners in Rafz are logged in, representing a share of 16.0 %. The 1074 -acre municipal area is made up as follows: agriculture 52%, forest 33%, 4% traffic, settlements 11%.


The Rafzer selected especially candidates of the SVP (43% ) and the SP (22 %) in the National Council ( percentages of the House of Representatives 2003). Mayor is Jürg Sigrist- Liechtlin (2009).


Main industry was agriculture, which was determinative for the cultural orientation of the community for centuries. Only later, after the opening up of Rafz by the Zurich S-Bahn and the A51 Bülach - Zurich highway, new industries settled in Rafzerfeld. It was known primarily for gravel extraction, which in some places has shaped the landscape. Today Rafz is the center of that northern lobe of the Canton of Zurich. The more than 800 jobs from Rafz are located mainly in the fields of horticulture, civil engineering and textile industries. Also worth mentioning is the three -yearly Rafzer Herbstmäss, where mainly the local wine a strong presence is procured.


The first mention of Rafz comes from a deed of gift from the year 870, issued by King Louis the German, a grandson of Charlemagne. To do "for his own salvation and that of his ancestors," something he transferred ownership of the Odilloz to Rafz the Rheinau monastery. However, the settlement Rafz experienced soon other ownership through various exchange and transfer transactions. In a roundabout way the Low jurisdiction was sold to the city of Zurich in 1496. From now on, the Zurich bailiff to Eglisau was responsible for the residents of Rafzerfeldes. The high court stayed the German Counts of Sulz. The three red spikes in the lower part of the coat of arms Rafzer symbolize her shield. These men led an eventful and laborious life. The aftermath of the Thirty Years' War expressed heavily on the sulzische house. It was forced, in 1651 the High court to sell also to the city of Zurich. Since then, the Rafzerfeld belongs to the registry Zurich and the Swiss Confederation.

On February 22, 1945, the U.S. Army Rafz bombed by mistake, this eight people died.


In Rafz five Christian communities are present:

  • The church in the center of Rafz located on the Chilegass and is used by the Evangelical Reformed Church. The building dates back to 1585. A chapel is in the same place in the Middle Ages have been found, which had been dedicated to St. Nicholas of Myra. Until 1496 this chapel was a branch of the Mother Church in Lottstetten.
  • The Roman Catholic Church is in the country Rafz with the Resurrection Church of St. Mary Magdalene present, which is located at the Baden - Landstrasse 12. It was inaugurated in 1994 and as a special feature of a work of art by the artist Alois Spichtig, which stretches from the street through the building to the altar room.
  • The New Apostolic Church has a church, which is located in 25 Hegi ( the cemetery of Rafz ).
  • The Evangelical Free Church Rafz ( EFRA ) was established in 2002 by the merger of two free churches: the Chrischonagemeinde Rafz and Free Mission church Rafz. The members of the EFRA belong to the club Chrischonagemeinden Switzerland. The services of the EFRA take place in the center Tannewäg.
  • The community for Christ (formerly Evangelical brothers club ) meets at the community center on GfC Chrischonawäg 7


Reformed Church of Rafz

Catholic Church of Rafz


Former Wastewater Treatment Plant New waste disposal building

Village center with community center

Half-timbered houses in the village center

Half-timbered houses in the village center