1939/1940 he was a member of a fascist youth organization, but soon turned to the Communists, so he was also briefly detained. In 1943 he became a member of the Communist Party. After working as a partisan in 1944, its use in the National Liberation Army. 1948 Alia was a member of the Central Committee of the Party of Labour of Albania, 1950 Member of the Albanian parliament. From 1952 to 1954 Alia graduated from the Party School of the Communist Party in Moscow. After he was in 1956 member of the Political Bureau and secretary of the Central Committee in 1960 the Party of Labour ( Ideological questions ), he finally moved in 1961 a full member of the Politburo of the Central Committee on. 1951-1955 Alia was a member of the Presidium of the National Assembly and then to 1958, Minister of Education and Culture. In 1958 he became chairman of the Foreign Affairs Commission of the National Assembly and in 1967 Vice - President of the General Council of the National Front. On November 22, 1982 Alia was elected to succeed Haxhi Lleshi addition to the Chairman of the Presidium of the National Assembly in addition to his party functions and exercised by the function of a head of state from. Although this office only served representative purposes, Alia was the second most powerful man in the country, as he simultaneously exercising the important function of the secretary of the Central Committee of the ruling Labor Party and thus was deputy of dictator Enver Hoxha.
After Hoxha's death in 1985 Alia took over the post of first secretary of the Party of Labour of Albania. He sat tentative economic reforms and foreign policy opening of Albania in transition.
After the fall of communism, the Workers' Party won the first multi-party elections on 31 March 1991. Alia resigned from his party posts and was elected on 30 April 1991 as president. Only a year later, the opposition won the early elections. Voluntary Alia resigned from his post on April 3, 1992, said goodbye to the political life. He was succeeded by Sali Berisha (PD).
- Fjalime e biseda [" speeches and conversations " ], 7 volumes; Tirana, 1986-1990.
- Shqipëria ime: Une dhe Ramiz Alia [" My Albania " ], interview with Januz Januzaj; Tirana, in 2012.
In German translation
- Leninism - combat and victory banner. Publisher " Naim Frashëri ", Tirana, 1970.
- The line of battle and victory against Khrushchev revisionism. In: " Red Morning ", Central Organ of the Communist Party / Marxist-Leninists, No. 48/ 1975, p 10f.
- Speech of Comrade Ramiz Alia to the General Council of the Democratic Front of Albania. In: " Red Morning ", Central Organ of the Communist Party / Marxist-Leninists, No. 6/ 1976, page 6f.
- The Albanian League of Prizren. An excellent chapter in our history who has written with his blood our people. Publishing " 8 Nëntori ", Tirana, 1978. Excerpts from the speech in " Red Morning ", Central Organ of the Communist Party / Marxist-Leninists, No. 25/ 1978, p 9