Randy Johnston ( born 1956 in Detroit ) is an American jazz guitarist.
Johnston lived in his youth in Richmond ( Virginia) and first played rock music. In the late 1970s he studied at the University of Miami and focused more on jazz and worked with Ira Sullivan. In 1981, he moved to New York City; in the 1980s he worked with Houston Person and Etta Jones. In 1991, he entered into a contract with Muse Records and recorded two albums with person as a producer on; Sound engineer was Rudy Van Gelder. Since then, he took a number of other albums especially for the High Note label, on which Bill Easley (1991 ), Uri Caine, Mickey Roker (1997), Johnny Griffin, Joey DeFrancesco and Idris Muhammad (1998) and David Fathead Newman ( 2001) as guest musicians participated. He also participated in recordings by Lionel Hampton, Lou Donaldson ( Live at the QE2 ), Jack McDuff, Dr. Lonnie Smith and Joey DeFrancesco ( The Champ, 1998) with.
Richard Cook & Brian Morton Johnston compare with Grant Green.
Disco Graphical Notes
- Walk On ( Muse Records, 1991) with Bill Easley, Benny Green
- Jubilation ( Muse, 1992) with Eric Alexander, Bruce Barth
- In-A- Chord ( Muse, 1994)
- Somewhere in the Night (High Note Records, 1997) with Uri Caine, Nat Reeves, Mickey Roker
- Riding the Curve ( JCurve, 1998) with Johnny Griffin, Joey DeFrancesco; Idris Muhammad
- Homage ( JCurve, 2000) with Nick Brignola, Jim Rotondi
- Detour Ahead ( High Note, 2001) with David Fathead Newman, Houston Person
- Hit & Run ( High Note, 2002) with Bruce Barth, Joe Locke
- Is it You? ( High Note, 2005) with Xavier Davis, Dwayne Burno