The media group Reed Elsevier is one of the world's biggest provider of online databases and one of the largest publishing houses worldwide.
Reed Elsevier was created in January 1993 from the merger of Reed International and Elsevier NV. The Group employs 30,500 people in over 200 offices. It operates more than 3,000 sites.
The following subsidiaries exist:
- Reed Elsevier Ltd, which is responsible for the publishing business
- Elsevier Reed Finance BV, which performs the financial activities of the group
Furthermore, Reed Elsevier is one of the main shareholders of Babylon Ltd. , The company that developed and marketed the Babylon Translator.
Special field of expertise:
- Science and medicine is managed by the publisher Elsevier Science.
- Economics and Law are supported by LexisNexis.
- Training was supervised by the publisher Harcourt, Inc..
- Business with all English-language journals is maintained by the publisher Reed Business Information ( RBI).
In the field of measuring Reed Elsevier operates a joint venture with the Chinese pharmaceutical and medical technology company Sinopharm named Reed Sinopharm Exhibitions Co. Ltd.. , To the keep both companies a 50 % stake.
On 4 May 2007, it was announced that the business Harcourt Assessment and Harcourt Education International for 700 million euros to the British competitors Pearson plc. were sold.