Reimund Neugebauer (* June 27, 1953 in Esperstedt on Kyffhaeuser ) is a German engineer and university teacher who is active in the science field of production technology. Since October 1, 2012 he has served as 10th President of the Fraunhofer -Gesellschaft.
After obtaining the baccalaureate with accompanying training as a mechanical engineer Neugebauer studied at the Technical University of Dresden engineering and majored in the field of Machine Tool Design. After graduating with a diploma, he worked as a research assistant and senior assistant at this chair. In 1984 he received his doctorate on the subject of computer-aided processing of finite element calculation models for machine tool structures. Between 1985 and 1989 he worked in various functions of the basic development and automation technology in Forming Technology Erfurt. In 1989, he put the topic development of flexible sheet metal processing systems abformender from his habilitation. In the same year he was appointed as a lecturer at the Technical University of Dresden, where he headed the Institute for Machine Tools from 1990.
In 1992, the Fraunhofer Society in Chemnitz founded the Fraunhofer Research Institution for Metal Forming and machine tools, he took over as one of the director of the institute machine tools and automation technology. After departure of Dr. Rolf Umbach he took over in 1994, the sole Director of the Institute of now as the Fraunhofer Institute for Machine Tools and Forming Technology ( IWU) designated research institution, which he presided for 21 years until September 2012.
He was entrusted with the representation wise guidance of the Chair machine tools at the Technical University of Chemnitz in 1993 and eventually received 1995 reputation as a full professor. From 2000 to 2012, he was the managing director of the Institute for Machine Tools and Production Processes ( IWP ) at the Chemnitz University of Technology from 2003 to 2006, he was also Dean of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering.
From 20 March 2006 to 26 October 2007 Reimund Neugebauer was a member of the Board of Directors of Landesbank Sachsen.
Neugebauer is a member of numerous national and international scientific societies and associations. He belongs to the Working Group Forming (AGU ) that was from 1 January 2010 to 31 December 2011 President of the Scientific Society for Production Engineering ( WGP ) and is a full member ( Active Member ) of the International Academy for Production Engineering (CIRP ), the Annual Meeting 2007 of IWU was aligned in Dresden. He is also a member of the German Academy of Science and Engineering ( acatech) and is president of the industry association Saxony 1828th
Reimund Neugebauer works in the fields of Manufacturing Technology, Machine tools, metal forming, hydroforming and metal foam. He has made in recent years, especially in resource-efficient manufacturing processes a name.
On 8 May 2012, he was elected by the Senate of Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft, succeeding Hans -Jörg Bullinger as President of the Fraunhofer -Gesellschaft, which office he assumed on 1 October 2012. The focus of his five-year tenure, he sees the assurance of academic excellence, ensuring the flexibility of the research organization and the expansion of international business, among others, through the establishment of the Fraunhofer Institutes in France, Poland and Russia. In addition, he is keen to promote young elites in the various institutions.
- 2001: Honorary Professor of the National Technical University of Kusbassgebiets (Russia)
- 2003: Honorary doctorate from the State Technological University " Stankin " Moscow
- 2005: Federal Cross of Merit 1st class of the Federal Republic of Germany
- 2007: Honorary doctorate from the Technical University of Brno
- 2011: Honorary Medal of the TU Chemnitz
- 2012: Honorary doctorate from the Technical University of Munich, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Saxon Merit and Entry in the Golden Book of the city of Chemnitz in the context of an honorary symposium on the adoption of the Technical University of Chemnitz
- 2013: Honorary doctorate from the University of Stellenbosch, South Africa
- 2014: Honorary doctorate from the Technical University in Prague, Czech Republic
- Computer-aided processing of finite element calculation models for machine tool structures. Thesis. In 1984.
- Development of flexible sheet metal processing systems abformender. Dissertation B ( habilitation thesis ). In 1989.
- Process safety in sheet metal processing. In 1999.
- Hydro- forming., 2007.