Riaz ( Freiburg Patois Riya? / I ) is a municipality in the canton of Fribourg Greyerzbezirk in Switzerland. The former German name to wheel is no longer used today.
Riaz is on 726 m above sea level. M., 2.5 km north of the district main town cop (air line). The village extends on both sides of the creek Sionge, at the southern foot of Marly, the uplands west of the Gruyère lake.
The area of 7.8 km ² large municipality area includes a portion of the basin of Bulle in the Fribourg foothills of the Alps. The eastern part of the site is by the broad valley of the Sionge, one of Bach's page of the Sarine (French: Sarine ) was ingested. To the east of this valley Riaz enough to the plateau of La Fin and up to the edge of the forest hill Vaucens. To the west of the municipality floor extends to the ridge Sur les Monts, which belongs to the hilly region of the Marly. Here in the forest area Joux de Pra FILLIEUX with 1'069 m above sea level. Reached the highest point of M. Riaz. A small proportion of the municipal area is north of this ridge in the catchment area of the stream Gérignoz and extends to the edge of the Moorniederung Les Gurles. From the municipality surface 1997 10 % came from settlements, 24 % of forest and shrubs, 65 % to agriculture and slightly less than 1% was unproductive land.
At Riaz has an extended family house districts and settlements L' Etrey and Joulin (750 m above sea level. M. ) on the bottom of a slope of Sur les Monts and numerous individual farms. Neighboring communities of Riaz are bull, Vaulruz, Sâles, Marsens and Echarlens.
With 2201 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012) Riaz is one of the medium-sized municipalities in the canton of Fribourg. Of the 92.2 % inhabitants are French-speaking, German-speaking 3.3 % and 1.0 % portugiesischsprachig (as of 2000). The population of Riaz amounted in 1850 to 593 residents in 1900 to 630 inhabitants. After the population had increased only slowly until 1970 (795 inhabitants), since a rapid population growth, with a doubling of the population was recorded within 30 years.
Riaz was until the mid-20th century, a predominantly coined by farming village. Today, the livestock and dairy farming and to a lesser extent agriculture only a small role in the occupational structure of the population. More jobs are available in the local small businesses and especially in the service sector. The village has several small enterprises such as carpentry, carpenters and companies in the construction industry have settled. Since 1887, Riaz is home to the district hospital, which was previously stationed in Bulle. In recent decades, the village has developed thanks to its attractive location into a residential community. Many employed persons are therefore commuters who Bulle and Fribourg work in the regions.
The community is a very good transport developed. It lies on the main road from Fribourg to Bulle. From these branches at Riaz from an access road from Corbières, which crosses the Lac de la Gruyère in a narrow part. The nearest links to the A12, which is open since 1981 from Bern to Vevey and throughout the municipal area traversed is located around 2 km from the town center. Through three bus lines of the Transports publics Fribourgeois Riaz is connected to the public transport network; they lead from Freiburg via Rossens or via La Roche to Bulle and Romont to Bulle.
The territory of Riaz was already inhabited in Roman times. In the course of excavations of the 19th century and during the construction of the A12 motorway remains of a probably built by the emperor Vespasian temple were found in the border area of Riaz, Marsens and Echarlens. The temple, which was dedicated to the god Mars Caturix, as well as the nearby location Vicus were destroyed in the year 260 in the first incursions of the Alemanni. Even from the time of the Merovingian a tomb was discovered.
The first documentary mention of the place was already in the year 859 under the name Roda; the Medieval Latin name was also used Rotavilla. Later, the names Villa Roda (900 ) published, ecclesia Rode ( 1055 ), Rota in Ogo ( 1136 ), Rua in Ogo ( 1228 ), Rya ( 1476 ) and Riat (1668 ). The place name is not - as previously thought - derived from the Latin word rota (wheel), but comes from the Celtic language, existed in the red in the meaning of way crossing.
Riaz was one of the High Middle Ages the territory of the Kingdom of Burgundy. In 1011 gave King Rudolf III. the village to his wife Irmengarde. This gave Riaz her son Hugues, Bishop of Lausanne was. Since then, the village was under the Bishop of Lausanne. It was 1196 meeting of the Bishop with the important noble lords of the region, as the former consolidated its ownership to bull against the counts of Gruyères. The Freiburg pillaged the village in 1252 during the war against the counts of Savoy. The Bishop of Lausanne demanded it, as compensation from the Freiburgers the funds for the reconstruction of Riaz.
In 1476 Riaz entered into a legal contract with Freiburg castle, the institution responsible for mutual assistance in armed conflicts. As Bern 1536 Vaud conquered, Riaz is under the protection of Freiburg and the Bailiwick bull was assigned. After the collapse of the ancien régime (1798 ) belonged to the village during the Helvetic Republic and the subsequent time to 1848 to the then district bull before it was incorporated in the district of Gruyère.
As possession of the Bishop of Lausanne Riaz was a parish in the 11th century. The church, which was destroyed in 1252 and later rebuilt, was in 1800 in such a bad state that a new building was needed. The new church was consecrated in 1828. The foundations of the Roman Temple was reconstructed and is now open to the public.
- Charles Morerod OP ( b. 1961 ), Swiss theologian and dogmatists and appointed Roman Catholic Bishop of Lausanne, Geneva and Fribourg