Richard Willis Hawley ( born January 17, 1967 in Sheffield ) is a British singer, musician and songwriter.
Before his solo career, Hawley had played in the band Treebound story and in the Britpop band Longpigs. Later he accompanied her on concert tours Pulp, whose lead singer Jarvis Cocker is a good friend Hawley. Cocker it was he who encouraged Hawley to his solo career.
His first album was released in 2000, Richard Hawley, first as a mini album, a year later as a regular album with additional pieces. With the single Baby, You're My Light from his second album, he rose in 2002 for the first time in the British charts (# 81). His third, 2003 released album Lowedges was overwhelmed by the music criticism with praise and made him known to a wider audience.
The biggest commercial success brought his fifth, in 2007 released album Lady 's Bridge: The single Tonight The Streets Are Ours reached number 40 of the singles chart, the album itself place 6 in the album charts. Tonight the Streets Are Ours was the film Exit Through the Gift Shop of the British street artist Banksy as film music.
Truelove's Gutter, his sixth album, was released in September 2009. On the album, containing no single -capable numbers, according to Hawley, rare musical instruments like glass harmonica, Waterphone or Cristal Baschet be used.
Richard Hawley used for its mostly slow and melodic songs instrumentation and sounds, which are based on past eras of pop music. The Süddeutsche Zeitung described the music as " times in economical rattling rock ' n ' roll, sometimes jazz, sometimes in doo-wop, with the subtle force of old English music halls orchestrated " The Vienna Standard, she moved " between Roy Orbison - bombast, soft rockabilly rumble and songs from the Lee Hazlewood and Johnny Cash - school " to.
- Richard Hawley (2000, 2001)
- Late Night Final ( 2001)
- Lowedges (2003)
- Coles Corner (2005)
- Lady 's Bridge ( 2007)
- Truelove 's Gutter (2009)
- False Lights from the Land (2010)
- "Coming Home" (2001)
- "Baby, You're My Light" (2002) ( UK # 81)
- " Run for Me" ( 2003) ( UK # 186)
- " The Ocean " ( 2005) ( UK # 102)
- " Coles Corner " ( 2005) ( UK # 146)
- " Just Like the Rain" ( 2006) ( UK # 94)
- " Born Under a Bad Sign" ( 2006) ( UK # 81)
- " Coles Corner " ( re-issue ) (2006 ) (UK # 136)
- " Hotel Room " ( 2006) ( UK # 64)
- "Tonight the Streets Are Ours " ( 2007) ( UK # 40)
- "Serious " ( 2007) ( UK # 83)
- "Valentine" ( 2008) ( UK # 134)
- " Rockabilly Radio" ( 2008)
- "For Your Lover, Give Some Time " (2009)