Richmond Bridge, London
The Richmond Bridge is a road bridge over the River Thames in London. It connects the district of Richmond on the northeast side with the district of St. Margarets on the southwest side, both located in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames. It performs the main road A305.
As the river at this point deviates from its usual east-west flow direction and an S-curve describes the river bank are called " Middlesex bank" and " Surrey bank". This is reminiscent of the former border between the two historic counties.
1760 asked William Windham, the owner of the former ferry to be able to build the Parliament for permission to build a bridge. The residents of Richmond, however, were against a wooden bridge and demanded a stone. Construction began in 1774 under the direction of architect James Paine and Kenton Couse. The opening took place 1777. Until 1859, the bridge was a toll road. In 1927 it passed into the possession of the counties of Surrey and Middlesex. Between 1937 and 1939 it was widened.