Ripa (rione of Rome)
Ripa (Italian outdated for the banks ) is the XII rione (district ) of Rome. It includes the Aventine Hill, the valley of the Circus Maximus and the left bank of the Tiber between Ponte Sublicio and Monte Savello. In addition to this Rione part of the Tiber Island.
The name of the district derives from the ancient Tiber port Ripa Grande. He arose from the medieval district Regio Ripe et Marmorata and received its present boundaries in 1921, when the Rione Testaccio and San Saba were spun.
Coat of arms
The coat of arms shows a white steering wheel, as a reminder of the harbor.