Rivers in Kent, with the River Medway.
The Medway Navigation in Yalding, 15 km south of Allington. Here in Yalding lead the Beult and TEISE in the Medway.
Template: Infobox River / Obsolete
The River Medway is a 112 km long river in southeast England. It flows from Turners Hill, West Sussex northeast through Tonbridge, Maidstone, then turns sharply to the north-west and then flows in a northerly direction to Rochester in Kent, before it empties into the estuary of the Thames.
The area is home to the small group of so-called " Medway chambered tombs ", a kind of megalithic sites or "Stone chambers", which is represented only in Derbyshire and Kent. Among them are the well-known " Kit's Coty House " at Aylesford and the " Chestnuts long barrow " at Addington.
The river was at first only to Tonbridge navigable until 1828 a canal was built to Leigh. Small boats such as canoes can occasionally go to Penshurst. The 31 km long stretch from Leigh to Allington is called Medway navigation. The Medway opens at Garrison Point, between the Isle of Sheppey and the Isle of Grain in the Thames estuary.
The River Medway divides the county of Kent in two parts. Previously the western part (West Kent) was managed by Maidstone from; the inhabitants were called Kentishmen. The eastern part (East Kent) was administered by Canterbury of the inhabitants were known as the Men of Kent. The two parts were united in 1814 to the County of Kent, whose administrative headquarters is in Maidstone.
In June 1667 found in the estuary of the River Medway in the raid as part of the English- Dutch War instead.
1942, he was transferred as a test of the operation PLUTO the world's first underwater pipeline on the bottom of the Medway.