Waterfall in Martinovo Selo
The Rječina (Eng. fluff, Italian Fiumara ) is a river empties into the Adriatic Sea in Croatia, in the city of Rijeka ( Fiume ).
The river is about 19 km long and has an average width of 9-16 m. It rises a cave beneath a cliff of the hill Kičej (606 m i. J. ). By 1870, the source was still under the nearby hills Podjavorje, but collapsed in an earthquake in the vicinity of the village Klana. The most important tributaries Sušica, Luzac, Zala, Zahumčica, Golubinka, Ričinica and Borovšćica are dry for most of the year. 1968 a dam was built, which is used as a hydroelectric power plant, which on the one hand, the lake Valići arose, on the other hand, the village of the same name disappeared. The Rječina flows almost halfway through a canyon. In Rijeka, the river branches into two parts: the Mrtvi channel ( German dead channel) and the new channel that was created in the 19th century, when the channel Mrtvi was used as a port. The most important sight is Gaspar's mill is ( Gašparov mlin ) in Martinovo Selo, which was renovated in the 90s of the 20th century. Among the best known representatives of the fauna includes the brown trout and crayfish.
Throughout history, the river frequently formed the boundary between different countries. For the first time this happened between the 13th and 16th centuries, when he separated the lands of the Holy Crown of St. Stephen of the Habsburg monarchy. Similarly, it was 1868 when the Rječina represented the boundary between the Croatian and Hungarian part of Austria - Hungary. After the First World War, it was for a very short time the border between the Free State of Fiume and the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes. After the Free State of Fiume was annexed by Italy in 1924, the Rječina became the border river of that State. Only after the Second World War, it was no longer on a state border.