The Ørland Airport ( norw Ørland lufthavn ) is a civil mitgenutzter military airfield of the Royal Norwegian Air Force, which uses the device under the name Ørland hovedflystasjon inter alia, as a base of fighter aircraft. He is in the field Ørland at the output of the Trondheim fjord about 25 km as the crow northwest of Trondheim in the province of Sør-Trøndelag.
More recently, the base was repeatedly venue of the NATO Tiger Meet.
The plans for the construction of the airport began in early 1941 when Norway was under German occupation. The airfield was completed in late 1941 with a 2 -km-long airstrip made of wood in East-West direction for the Air Force. The following year, the construction of a runway made of concrete, which lasted until 1944 and today forms the northern portion of the single start and runway began. In Oerlandet, the name at that time, were from August to October 1944, the 11th and 12th season of the Destroyer Squadron 26 ( 11th and 12./ZG 26), which were equipped with Ju 88G or 110G Bf. In addition, home to the place from September to November 1944 is also equipped with Bf 110G Staff of the IV group of the same squadron. Then the 11./ZG took 26 Janaar from 1945 until the war's end, now with Me 410, Ørland again.
After the end of World War II first took over the British Royal Air Force airfield that gave him the beginning of November 1945 the Luftforsvaret. Ørland was the first time since 1949 for civilian use for a short time, as Trøndelag Flyveselskap opened a connection with 3- seater Auster aircraft to Trondheim charging. In the early 1950s used Widerøe and Polarfly the station occasionally for ambulance flights and SAS dufte him from 1953 used as an emergency landing.
The decision to expand to a " main air station " of the Norwegian Air Force was in 1950, since Norway was to receive U.S. jet fighter, the. Longer airstrip as the previously used by the air forces Vampire jets from a British production In October 1954, met the previously established in Sola 338 Skvadron with F- 84E in a Ørland, but these were replaced by more modern F- 84G already in the following years, which were flown until 1960. In June 1958, the conversion had begun on the F- 86F, which were used until 1966. This year, the conversion was carried out on the F -5A / B, which in turn was replaced in 1985 by the still active today F -16A / B.
In the summer of 1967, Braathens SAFE started a seasonal connection to Trondheim -Værnes, but did not bring the desired success. Widerøe took this connection in 1971 in its schedule, as clearance terminal served a container, until 1978, a terminal building was put into operation. The civilian flight operations subsequently experienced with four daily flights to Trondheim its heyday. As a parallel civilian airport is Ørland since 1985. Route to Trondheim was set in 1987 and tests the connection has been made again and again in the years to permanently operate until 1998 the temporary end came. Since 2003, North Flying operated on behalf of Air Norway, the route to Oslo.
The Ørland hovedflystasjon is currently used (2013 ) by following the flying squadrons of the 138th Squadron:
- 338 Skvadron, equipped with F-16AM/BM, since 1985
- Detachment of the 330th Skvadron ( subordinate to the 137th Squadron ) equipped with Sea King Mk.43 helicopters rescue
The squadron under Furthermore, there is not flying associations of Luftforsvaret as the Luftvernartilleribataljon.
In addition, the AWACS squadron of NATO from Geilenkirchen uses the station regularly as a forward base.
In the future, the station main base of operations of all Norwegian F- 35th
Air Norway operated from here to Oslo Airport Gardermoen and the Aalborg Airport.