As a representative of postmodernism, he often used in his experimental works, the principle of montage and pervades his novels with advertising slogans, signage and headlines and so expanded the narrative possibilities of the novel. He is next to Thomas Pynchon, William Gass, Donald Barthelme and John Barth as the most important representatives of the American literary avant-garde. Coover is one of the founding members of the ' Electronic Literature Organization ', which promotes the development of literature in digital media.
The most important Roman Coover applies " The public burning " (1977), which tells the events surrounding the alleged atomic spies Ethel and Julius Rosenberg from the perspective of then-Vice President Richard Nixon.
Robert Coover lives in Providence, Rhode Iceland and teaches at Brown University.
- Discordant Notes, German by Gerd Burger; Rowohlt, Reinbek 1994. ISBN 3-499-13020-3
1972 A Theological Position ( stage plays )
- Game with the maid, dt Bruni Rohm and Gerd Burger, Rowohlt, Reinbek 1991. ISBN 3-499-12886-1
- Gerald's Party, German by Karin Graf, Rowohlt, Reinbek 1992. ISBN 3-499-13047-5
- Casablanca, late show, German by Karin Graf, Rowohlt, Reinbek 1990. ISBN 3-498-00883-8
- The Beautiful Sleeping: Sleeping Beauty's stories, German by Gerd Burger Rowohlt, Reinbek 1999 ISBN 3-499-22344-9.
- The ghost town, dt by Dirk van Gunsteren, Rowohlt, Reinbek 2002. ISBN 3-498-00919-2