The western part of the district of Rockeskyll part of the conservation area " Gerolstein and environment." West of the village is 555 meters high Rockeskyller head, a stratovolcano or composite volcano. Southwest of the village flows the Kyll. The town of Gerolstein, about five kilometers south-west, the city Hille home about four miles north-west and the town of Daun about eleven kilometers southeast of Rockeskyll.
A certificate of the Emperor Henry IV in 1098, in which he confirmed the Trier Monastery of St. Simeon his possessions was also ' kila ' mentioned among other places. This ' kila ', as well as one already mentioned in records in 1084 ' kila ', is according to regional local historian believes with high probability today Rockeskyll. The historian Heinrich Beyer ordered the document from the year 1098 to the place Stadtkyll.
Since the 15th century had Rockeskyll market law. The last cattle and Krammärkte were held in the 1920s. On the market today still remember two designated as a natural monument oak trees that are in the south of the village.
By the end of the 18th century belonged to the Official Rockeskyll down in the Electorate of Trier.
After the annexation of the left bank of the Rhine in the First Coalition War (1794 ) was one Rockeskyll of 1798 at the Canton Gerolstein in Arrondissement de Prüm, which belonged to the Saar Department. Rockeskyll became the seat of a Mairie. To Mairie Rockeskyll were the places: Rockeskyll, Berlingen, Betteldorf, Bewingen, Essingen, Gees, Hinterweiler, Hohenfels, Pelm and Roth. Taken in response to the Congress of Vienna (1815 ) agreements concluded, inter alia the Eifel part of Saarland Department of the Prussian kingdom. Under the Prussian administration was Rockeskyll seat of a mayor who had the same extent relative to the associated communities as the previous Mairie. The mayor Rockeskyll belonged to the circle down in the Trier region and from 1822 to the Rhine province. Since 1946 Rockeskyll belongs to the then newly founded state of Rhineland -Palatinate and since October 1, 1968, the municipality Gerolstein.
The development of the population of Rockeskyll, the values from 1871 to 1987 based on population censuses:
The local council in Rockeskyll consists of six council members, who were elected at the municipal election held on 7 June 2009 by majority vote, and the honorary mayor as chairman.
Coat of arms
The blazon is: " From Blue divided on silver, above a golden scale, below a polymer formed from three red threads lattice cross."
The scale refers to the ancient market rights of the community. The grid cross symbolizes a striking architectural detail from the church built in 1728. The colors red and silver have the previous affiliation of the place to the Electorate of Trier.
Economy and Transport
Rockeskyll is located directly on the B 410 The road L 27 leads through the village. In Rockeskyll the Rockeskyller distillery is established since 1842, manufactures liqueurs and brandies.