Rodion Konstantinovich Shchedrin (Russian Родион Константинович Щедрин, scientific transliteration Rodion Konstantinović Scedrin; engl Rodion Shchedrin, . Born December 16, 1932 in Moscow ) is a Russian composer and pianist.
Shchedrin was born in 1932 as the son of a composer and music teacher in Moscow. He attended the Moscow Choral School and then studied at the Moscow Conservatory with Yuri Shaporin (composition) and Yakov Flier ( piano). In 1964 he was appointed professor of composition at the Moscow Conservatory in 1973 as President of the Russian Composers' Union. Nevertheless, he participated in several festivals in Western European countries, such as the Munich Piano Summer 1982, part. After the fall of the communist regime, he was awarded the Russian State Prize and the Dmitri Shostakovich - Prize, in December 2007, he was awarded the Order for Services to the Fatherland, second class. Since 1989 Shchedrin is a member of the Berlin Academy of Arts. Today he divides his time between Munich and Moscow.
Invited by Walter Fink, he was the 19th composer in the annual composer's portrait of the Rheingau Musik Festival in 2009. He imagined, in the presence of his wife, with chamber music and liturgy The Sealed Angel.
Among his works are the ballets Anna Karenina ( by Leo Tolstoy ), The Seagull ( by Anton Chekhov ), the opera Dead Souls (after Nikolai Gogol ), for which he was in 1984 ausgzeichnet with the Lenin Prize. Further works are among others the scenic liturgy The Sealed Angel, several symphonies and piano concertos, and piano and chamber music.
- Not love only ( Не только любовь )
- Boyarinya Morozova ( Боярыня Морозова )
- Charming Stranger ( Очарованный странник )
- Lolita ( Лолита )
- Dead souls ( Мёртвые души ), German: Dead Souls
- The Little Humpbacked Horse: "The Little Humpbacked Horse" ( Ballet ), 1955
- Carmen, 1967
- Anna Karenina, 1968
- Seagull, 1979
- Lady with a Lapdog, 1985
- Symphony No.. 1, 1958
- Not Love Alone ( symphonic suite from the opera ), 1964
- Symphony No.. 2, "Twenty -five Preludes for Orchestra, " 1965
- Solemn Overture, 1982
- Seagull Suite 1984
- Self Portrait, Variations for Orchestra, 1984
- Stihira, " Hymn for the Millenary of the Christianisation of Russia, " 1987
Concerts and concert works
- Piano Concerto No.. 1, 1954
- Concerto for Orchestra No.. 1 " Naughty Limericks, " 1963
- Piano Concerto No.. 2, 1966
- Concerto for Orchestra No.. 2, " The Chimes, " 1968
- Piano Concerto No.. 3, 1973
- Piano Concerto No.. 4
- Concerto for Orchestra No.. 3, " Old Russian Circus Music, " 1988
- Piano Concerto No.. 5, 1999
- Cello Concerto, " sotto voce concerto, " 1994
- Dolce Concerto for viola, string orchestra and harp, 1997
- Concerto Cantabile for violin and orchestra, 1998
- Piano Concerto No.. 6, 2003
- Symphonic Diptych Broken Song, 2008
- The Sealed Angel ( choral music after Nikolai Leskov ), 1988: The Sealed Angel, Choral Music by Nikolai Leskov, CD with the Latvian State Choir, WERGO 2010.
- Chamber Suite for twenty violins, a harp, a accordion on two double - basses, 1961
- Muzïkal'noye prinosheniye ( A Musical Offering), 3 flutes, 3 bassoons, 3 trombones, and organ, 1983
- Piano Pieces (1952-1961) Poem;
- Four Pieces from the ballet "The Humpbacked Horse";
- Imitating Albeniz;
- Two Polyphonic Pieces ( Two Part Invention and Basso Ostinato )
- Echo Sonata, Op.69 1984
- In the Style of Albeniz, Op.52 1973
- " What you write is inviolable ". Mainz: Schott, 2008.