Rogač is the main port of the island of Solta or municipality in the Split- Dalmatia Croatia in the Adriatic Sea across from Split west of Brac. In the small harbor town with harbor office, car and boat gas station put on car ferries. Rogač belongs to Grohota, has 110 inhabitants.
The place is connected to the mainland (Split) on car ferries and catamaran ferries. It is 1.5 km from the main town of the island, Grohote state road D111, removed. From Rogač from buses via Grohote after Srednje selo, Donje Selo after Maslinica or after Nečujam, Gornje Selo and Stomorska. To place The area around the bay. The bays hot Banje, Kasjun or Zustova.
Rogač is the main port of Solta Home to the Harbour Master's Office, a marina, and a filling station for cars and ships. The town thrives on tourism. There is a tourist information, some restaurants and about 30 private houses right and left of the bay. Fishing today is no longer important.
The island of Solta was from the 14th century until 1905 in the possession of the nobility of Split or the Catholic Church. The proximity to the city, about 17 km by boat, the island predestined to an important supplier for wood, lime, meat, fish, oil, wine, almonds, carob, fig and honey. As a port of the largest town of the island, Grohote was olive oil and wine as of Stomorska transported by wooden sailing ships to Italy. Rogač emerged at the end of the 18th century as a port of Grohote. The first written mention dates from 1242 portus qui dicitur Roga. The settlement is certainly much older. On the island there are several prehistoric burial mounds. On the Vela Straža there was an Illyrian fortress. Many ancient finds from the island are exhibited in the Archaeological Museum Split. While settled at the time of almost a thousand years of Roman peace on the coast, this was dangerous back in the Middle Ages. Since the island lay in the borders between the Ottoman Empire and the Republic of Venice, was the danger of looting and robberies, especially by the pirates of Omis great, which is why there were only places in the interior of the island for centuries.
The seaport Rogač said on Italian Porto carober, the Venetian variant of the word carruba for carob tree that retranslated in Croatian Rogač means. Originally there was only fishing in the bay huts and taverns, protected by a two-story baroque castle.
In the 19th century the Catholic Church in honor of St. on the site of an older chapel. Teresa of Avila, who is venerated as a saint, Doctor of the Church and patron of the sick. The non-typical for Dalmatia church saint is depicted on the baroque altarpiece. Because the painting is to be assumed that the founders of the image was an abbot. It is probably Jerome Celsi from the Venetian noble family Celsi the 1627-1682 the penultimate Titularabt of the Split Benedictine Monastery of St.. Stephen was sub plinis, which was the monastery associated Šoltaraner " Madonna under the fir trees ." Celsi died in 1692 and endowed in his will the Church in Rogač. Maybe he is also the builder of the fort.
In the church there is a plaque commemorating the Polish government president and dictator (1926-1935) of the Second Polish Republic, Marshal Józef Piłsudski. She had been temporarily removed during the Second World War, because the area belonged to a hotel, which was attended by wealthy Poland. Worth seeing in the Church the votive painting of a shipwreck in 1939.
On the opposite side of the harbor is a Kažela or casella as in Stomorska, Maslinica or Stracinska. This cottage was the disinfection of ships. At the lower end of the bay the Summer Fresh Miladinov the family is built in a Föhrenwäldchen in the 19th century. In the southern bay Banje there are the remains of a Roman villa rustica from the 3rd to the 4th century, with walls of spas, swimming pools, mosaic fragments and graves. Located on the northwest side of the bay you can find in the sea remains of walls, probably the ancient harbor. The sea level has risen by about 1.7 meters in the last 2000 years. In the bay there is a small shipyard, the Frane Cecić 1920, and is now run by the 3rd generation.
Until the 1970s, the family business Cecić vlg. Bilini in the bay a lobster breeding. In a 10 by 10 meter large wooden cage, called the Depositphotos over the years caught lobsters were collected for the sale for Christmas. The caged lobsters were fed with whipped sea urchins. One night, the plant was deliberately destroyed by unknown persons. The animals escaped and swam away a year's work.
In the house of Nikola Mateljan, one of the most productive olive farmers on the island, an ethnographic collection is on display.