Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Owerri
The Archdiocese of Owerri (Latin: Archidioecesis Overriensis ) is a location in Nigeria Roman Catholic archdiocese based in Owerri.
The Archdiocese of Owerri was born on February 12, 1948 by Pope Pius XII. built with the Apostolic Constitution In christianum as Apostolic Vicariate of Owerri.
The Apostolic Vicariate of Owerri was posted on April 18, 1950 by Pius XII. charged with the Apostolic Constitution Laeto accepimus to the diocese and the Archdiocese of Onitsha is a suffragan. On June 23, 1958, the Diocese of Owerri were parts of its territory from the foundation of the Diocese of Umuahia. For more territorial concessions were made on May 16, 1961 founding of the Diocese of Port Harcourt, on 29 November 1980 on the establishment of the Diocese of Orlu and on 18 November 1987 on the foundation of the diocese Ahiara. On March 26, 1994, the Diocese of Owerri was by Pope John Paul II with the Apostolic Constitution Ad aptius efficaciusque raised to an archbishopric.
Vicars Apostolic of Owerri
- Joseph Brendan Whelan CSSp, 1948-1950
Bishops of Owerri
- Joseph Brendan Whelan CSSp, 1950-1970
- Mark Onwuha Unegbu, 1970-1993
- Anthony John Valentine Obinna, 1993-1994
Archbishops of Owerri
- Anthony John Valentine Obinna, since 1994