Roman Catholic Diocese of Saint Thomas
The Diocese of Saint Thomas (Latin: Sancti Thomae Dioecesis in Insulis Virgineis ) is a Roman Catholic diocese based in Charlotte Amalie on the U.S. Virgin Islands, a nichtinkorporiertes outer area of the United States in the Caribbean.
Pope John XXIII. founded on April 30, 1960, with the bull Cum apostolicus the Territorialprälatur Virgin Islands of cessions of territory of the Archdiocese of San Juan de Puerto Rico and placed it on October 12, 1965 the Archdiocese of Washington, suffragan. This was on 20 April 1977, the bull Animarum utilitatis by Paul VI. raised to the bishopric of Saint Thomas. The cartridge of the diocese are Peter and Paul.
Prelate of the Virgin Islands
- Edward John Harper CSsR (23 July 1960-20. April 1977)
Bishops of Saint Thomas
- Edward John Harper CSsR (20 April 1977-16. October 1985, emeritus)
- Sean Patrick O'Malley, OFM Cap (16 October 1985-16. June 1992, then Bishop of Fall River )
- Elliot Griffin Thomas (30 October 1993-29. Resigned June 1999 )
- George Vance Murry SJ (29 June 1999-30. January 2007, then Bishop of Youngstown )
- Herbert Armstrong Bevard ( since 7 July 2008)