Roman Catholic Diocese of Superior
The Diocese of Superior (Latin: Dioecesis Superiorensis ) is a location in Wisconsin in the United States Roman Catholic diocese based in Superior.
The area on Lake Superior, one of the oldest geological landscapes in the world, was inhabited from the late 15th century by Anishinabe Indians. The first European who discovered the Upper Lake, the Frenchman Étienne Brûlé applies. Some forty years later, came in 1661, the first Jesuit missionaries from Sault Sainte Marie. A few years later founded Claude -Jean Allouez, SJ at La Pointe on Madeline Iceland the Holy Ghost mission with which the first Catholic church in North America north of Mexico and west of Lake Huron arose. In the 19th century, the Slovenian secular priest Frederick Baraga extended the mission until he was promoted in 1853 to the bishop of the Apostolic Vicariate Obermichigan and later the first bishop of Marquette.
1878 founded the Franciscans ( OFM) Province of the Order of St. Louis, a branch which still exists today.
Pope Pius X founded on May 3, 1905 together annexations of the dioceses Green Bay and La Crosse the new diocese of Superior.
The diocese covers the Counties Superior Ashland, Barron, Bayfield, Burnett, Douglas, Iron, Lincoln, Oneida, Price, Polk, Rusk, Sawyer, St. Croix, Taylor, Vilas and Washburn of the State of Wisconsin.
Bishops of Superior
- Augustine Francis Schinne (13 May 1905-18. March 1914, then Bishop of Spokane )
- Joseph Maria Koudelka (6 August 1913-24. June 1921, died )
- Joseph Gabriel pints (30 November 1921-25. June 1926, then Bishop of Grand Rapids )
- Theodore Maria Reverman (2 July 1926-18. July 1941 died )
- William Patrick O'Connor (December 27, 1941-22. February 1946, then Bishop of Madison )
- Albert Meyer (18 February 1946-21. July 1953, then Archbishop of Milwaukee )
- Joseph John Annabring (27 January 1954-27. August 1959, died )
- George Albert Hammes (28 March 1960-27. June 1985, resigned )
- Raphael Michael Fliss (27 June 1985-28. June 2007, emeritus)
- Peter Forsyth Christensen, since 28 June 2007