Rosendal Palace

Rosendal Palace was Charles XIV John's pleasure palace in Stockholm district of Djurgården.

The site was originally a dwelling place for animal guardians and was designed by Gustav III. away to his secretary George De Besche. This had built a wooden building in 1790. In 1798 he sold the place to the Countess Aurora de Geer. After that she was in possession of the Director Hans Niclas swan. This gave the land to the Major General LM De Camps, who in turn sold it to Crown Prince Charles John.

As the old building burned down in 1819, Karl Johann left the royal villa today 1823-1827 build by the architect Fredrik Blom. The castle is a prefabricated wooden house with 17 rooms on two floors, which was provided with plastered veneer. The architect for the interior was Emanuel Limnell and the porch on the north side in two floors came in the 1860s to do so. The " dining room", which adjoins the western short side, like a tent is set up and was added in the 1870s. Originally the dining room contained a collection of guns and other weapons Oskar II The two-storey " pavilion for the Queen " ( Drottningens Paviljong ) on the east side was built before the main building. The precious furniture and furnishings are typical of the Empire style. Before the northern facade a huge vase (4 meters in diameter 3 feet high, ) in 1825 made ​​of porphyry, which was recovered near Älvdalen. Near the castle there is a resulting later Orangerie.

Since 1913 the castle is a museum of Charles XIV John and the Bernadotte dynasty. During the summer months visitors can objects from the 1820s and 1830s see which are held in so-called Karl- Johann- style. Special features include the library, showing Karl Johanns unchanged book collection and the bedchamber Karl Johanns, which was converted in 1913 from the Stockholm Palace Rosendal.

The building is expected to be the " ten royal palaces " (castles in the possession of the royal family ) in Sweden.

Just to the west of the castle closes Rosendals trädgård the garden at Rosendal. This was 1861-1911 with greenhouse and nursery under the supervision of the Swedish Garden Society (Svenska Trädgårdsföreningen ).

de