Rossano Rossano Calabro also, with 36 482 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012) is the third largest city in the province of Cosenza in the Calabria region of Italy. It is the seat of an archbishop.
Rossano facing the Ionian Sea, in the northern foothills of the Sila Greca. The historic center is around 275 m altitude, at the foot of the hill lies the modern district of Rossano Scalo, the district on the coast called Lido Sant'Angelo, is a highly popular seaside resort. The neighboring municipalities are Calopezzati, Corigliano Calabro, Cropalati, Crosia, Longobucco and Paludi.
Archaeological traces proving the existence of a settlement in Roman times, the first written mention of the city Roscianum in the 6th century AD His greatest importance was Rossano in the period of the 8th to the 11th century, during which she is one of the most important centers Byzantine culture in southern Italy and with a strongly developed fortress long the attacks of the Saracens resistance. In the year 982 Rossano was the base of the court of Otto II, where the Emperor had his wife Theophano and the heir to the throne Otto left in its war against the Saracens. Thanks lucky escape on a Byzantine merchant ship, the Emperor was able to return despite a costly defeat to Rossano. 1060 was the city into the hands of the Normans and informed since that time the historical destiny of southern Italy, though without protruding above the rank of an ordinary provincial town. Under the feudal lords of medieval Rossano the family was Ruffo, in modern times reigned from 1637 the Borghese over the city. Since the 50s of the 20th century, the population increased again sharply. Rossano is today an important center of agriculture and the food industry, which is based mainly on the cultivation of olive and citrus groves, but also on the processing of licorice. Now another important industry is tourism.
- The Santa Maria Assunta Cathedral dates from the 12th century, but was subject to many changes over the centuries. It harbors a legend has not painted by human hand picture of grace, called Maria Achiropita.
- The Codex purpureus Rossanensis ( Purple Codex of Rossano ) in the Diocesan Museum is one of the oldest and most ornate Greek Gospels manuscripts. It was probably made in the 6th century in Syria and arrived in the 7th century to Calabria.
- The Oratory of San Marco in the Greek Old Town district is a Byzantine church, probably dating from the 10th century. You should have been donated by the Holy Nilus of Rossano.
- Another Byzantine church dating from the 10th or 11th century, is the oratory of Panagia or Santa Maria la Tutta.
- The Baroque church of San Nilo was donated by Ippolita Aldobrandini as Princess of Rossano and built in 1620.
- Outside the city, 609 meters above sea level, is the Church of Santa Maria del Patire or Santa Maria Nuova Odigitria, which was built from 1101 to 1105 by Basilian monks and part of a major monastery complex in the Norman period was from which, however, only ruins remain. Founder was Saint Bartholomew of Simeri, venerated in it as Patire, Greek πατῆρ (father). It has remains of a mosaic floor.
- Image of Mary in the Cathedral Achiropita
- S. Maria Panagia
- S. Maria del Patire
- S. Marco
- Production site and museum of Amarelli - licorice
Sons and daughters of the town
- John VII (* in Rossano, † 707 Rome), Pope
- Nilus of Rossano ( Rossano * 910, † Grottaferrata 1004), monk and saint of Greek origin
- John XVI. (* Rossano, † 1001? Rome), antipope