The RRS Discovery is the expedition ship, the Robert Falcon Scott has made his expeditions to the Antarctic. RRS means Royal Research Ship. The ship is currently a museum ship at Discovery Point in Dundee ( Scotland). It is the last wooden three-masted ship that was built in the British Isles.
It was left on 21 March 1901 in Dundee from the stack and is specifically designed for Antarctic research missions. Particular attention was placed on a firm outer shell in the form of several superimposed skins from exceptionally hard wood, which should defy the dangers of ice floes and satisfied bodies of water. On the front deck a wind turbine with electric generator could be built.
Research Missions 1901-1905
At its first research mission in the period of August 6, 1901 to September 10, 1904 she froze in theater and had to remain two years before the place, until they are eventually freed by some controlled demolitions and started her journey home.
Transition function 1905-1922
Due to serious financial problems of the National Antarctic Expedition in 1905 the ship was sold to the Hudson 's Bay Company and used here as a transport ship between London and Hudson Bay ( Canada). During the First World War were transported with their ammunition to Russia. Later, in 1917, it was used to support the White Guards during the Russian Revolution.
She was then chartered by various companies for use in the Atlantic. However, they lost, thanks to modern vessels more attractive for this particular project and was used eventually retired as the headquarters for the 16th Stepney Sea Scouts in terms of their transport function in the early 1920s.
Further research missions 1923-1931
In 1923 she was again ordered back as a Research Ship with surgical field Antarctica - her home port was at that time was Port Stanley in the Falkland Islands. After a 114,000 pound sterling expensive overhaul the ship from 1929 to 1931 by the British Australian and New Zealand Antarctic Research Expedition ( abgek. BANZARE ) was again used as an expedition ship.
From 1936 to the discovery served as a training ship for the Boys Scout Association, but this proved over the years to be too costly, so they back the Admiralty was assumed as a training ship in 1955, until it was no longer useful viewed here as well as for the Navy.
1979 to today
In 1979, she finally rescued the Maritime Trust before dismantling. After a £ 500,000 expensive restoration, it was finally handed over to their Kiellegungsort back to Dundee and lies there to visit in combination with a country exhibition about the original Antarctic expedition.