Rueun ( [ ʁu̯ɛʊ̯n ]? / I, German and officially until 1943 Ruis ) was until December 31, 2013, municipality in the district Ruis in the district Surselva the canton of Graubünden in Switzerland. On 1 January 2014 merged with the former municipalities Rueun Castrisch, Duvin, Ilanz, Ladir, luffing, Pigniu, Pitasch, Riein, Ruschein, Schnaus, Sevgein, Siat the new community Ilanz / Glion.

Coat of arms

Blazon: In red the golden (yellow ) Portrait of Saint Andrew ( Apostle ) holding with a silver halo, the right to a natural-colored Andrew's Cross

The coat of arms motif of Saint Andrew was already used on a banner as well as a seal. It refers to the relationship of the parish of St. Andrew's Church to the monastery of Disentis.

Origin of the name

The community Ruis is first recorded in 765 as Ruane in the will of Bishop Tello. The name comes from Latin rova, which means landslide. This designation refers to the alluvial fan of the village stream on which the village was founded.


The municipality includes areas left and right of the Anterior Rhine. On the right side is uninhabited forest area. On the left bank of the city from the valley (San Clau, 739 m above sea level. M. ) extends up to the Fil da Rueun ( 2351 m). The village itself is located on a terrace above the valley floor. The area boasts numerous mountain pastures. Of the total municipal area of ​​1158 ha are 533 agricultural use. 506 hectares are covered by forest and woodland. The rest of the community area covers 68 hectares of unproductive area (mountains ) and 51 ha settlement area.


Near the train station since 1840 spans the Punt da Rueun the Anterior Rhine. Takes you on the other side of the river on the Polenweg leading from Ilanz to Tavanasa. It was built between 1940 and 1945 of interned Polish soldiers. Commemorative plaques and a shrine at the western end of the Plaun backgrond recalled.

Shrine to commemorate the builder of Poland path



Parish Church is the Catholic Church of St. Andrew, which was first mentioned in 840. Besides standing in Rueun four chapels: St. Nicholas below the village, St. Francis and St. Anthony of Padua, both on the road to Pigniu and St. Mary Magdalene at the eastern end of the village before Schnaus.


From the end of 2004 431 inhabitants were 400 Swiss nationals.

In Rueun the Grisons actress and singer Corin Curschellas lives.