The Rugard is 91 m above sea level. NN high elevation in the core area of the Baltic Sea island of Rügen. Developed in the last Ice Age moraine is located on the northeastern outskirts of Bergen auf Rügen. Probably from the 9th century until the year 1325 AD was a castle here in the Ranenfürsten resided, which included Rügen and parts of the adjoining mainland. The term Rugard ( Slavic: Rujanenburg ) dates from that period. The system consisted of a main and an outer bailey and covered an area of 2.3 ha The plant is well preserved as Erdbaurelikt, for the planting but poorly recognized.
After the Terran Princely House 1325 Wizlaw III. had died, the castle lost importance and lapsed; the ramparts are partly preserved until today. In the Middle Ages there was a mill and the area was used for agriculture. Until 1830, when Prince Wilhelm Malte I. ( 1783-1854 ) to Putbus the hillfort was reforested, the Rugard was deforested. Karl Friedrich Schinkel in 1821 " The Rugard on Rügen " held in his painting the sight.
Over time, a forest, which consists mainly of spruce and pine was interrupted by small areas of oak, birch and poplar populations, as well as many other deciduous and coniferous trees. The actual domestic beech is hardly represented. Since 1984, leading a 2.5 km long nature trail as a trail by the Rugardwald, where interested visitors can learn about the diverse animal and plant life in this historic landscape based on presentation boards.
From erected on the Rugard Ernst- Moritz -Arndt- tower one has a view of the entire island. With this tower, Ernst Moritz Arndt, who was born in Great Schoritz on Rügen was a monument in the 70s of the 19th century. The foundation stone was laid on December 26, 1869, the 100th birthday of the poet. They decided on the design by the Berlin architect and builder Hermann Eggert and began in the autumn of 1872 with the construction, which was completed for lack of funds until 1877. The forest area of the Rugards had in the 30s of the 20th century reached a level that no longer allowed an unobstructed panoramic view from the top gallery of the tower. Between 1935 and 1937, here is a Nazi Thingplace was built, which was mainly used by the Hitler Youth.
For a basic reorganization of 2000 carried out by 2002 has therefore decided that originates from the 1955 wooden dome against a dome of glass and steel to replace to create (while maintaining the historical form ) and thus an elevated viewing platform.