- Victoria city
Rummelsburg is a district in the Lichtenberg district of Berlin. In common parlance, the term especially for the area around S-Bahn station of the same name is used.
The first building hype Petersburg was a brickyard, which from 1669 on the banks of Rummelsburger: was (then Stralauer lake). In the 18th century it developed into a dairy farm that was initially referred to as Charlottenhof. After 1775 fisheries and nurseries are also detected. When the dairy was bought by wine merchant Johann Jakob Rummel and converted to an inn, he called it Rummelsburg. This name was transferred to the resulting settlement.
In 1861, Rummel castle was incorporated until then exclave of Berlin in the district Niederbarnim, the Gutsbezirk Boxhagen. Here the Friedrichs orphanage, the Society for Anilinfabrikation mbH In 1859 was opened in 1867 founded the forerunner of Agfa. Partially built by English engineers - - Victoria City, 1877-1879 the municipal workhouse Rummelsburg (later prison Rummelsburg ) Between 1872 and 1875, was born. Between 1890 and 1892, the Evangelical Church of the Redeemer was built.
On 30 January 1889, the Gutsbezirk was dissolved and the independent municipality Boxhagen - Rummelsburg formed, which now consisted of four population centers - the Boxhagen Vorwerk with its settlement colony, the establishment of Rummelsburg, the colony of Victoria, the city and the colony Lichtenberger Kietz. Benefiting from the plant to the station Stralau hype castle in 1882 (now Ostkreuz ) came there in the following years to a rapid growth of residential and industrial buildings.
The population figures in the 19th century escalated with the rapid industrial development from 1875 with 2,135 to around 20,000 in 1895 and more than 50,000 in 1910.
In 1912 Boxhagen hype castle came to town Lichtenberg and with the formation of Greater Berlin on 1 October 1920 in the Lichtenberg district of the German capital.
21 May 1927 to the 1950s was in the Köpenick Chaussee 1-4, right on Rummelsburger lake, the "Urban River bath Lichtenberg ". In addition to 26,000 m² sand beach here were a smaller school pool, a large lap pool (25 × 100 m) and a smaller hot pool whose water was heated in the cooler months with the waste heat from the adjacent power plant Klingenberg. A fourth tank was the ten meter diving reserved. The total area of the bath consisted of 50,000 m².
In a reorganization of the district in 2002 ( a year after the Berlin district reform) was Rummelsburg into an independent district. This extends since the area around the Weitlingstraße to Lichtenberg station. Here dominated residential buildings dating from the early 20th century.
After 2000, built on the banks of the Spree and the Rummelsburger a new residential area, the city of waters Rummelsburg. It also older buildings, such as the work-houses in the main street, were included.
The district is elongated between the ring road around the station east cross in the northwest and the Blockdammweg in the southeast and is bordered to the south by the River Spree and its offshoot, the Rummelsburger Lake (also: Rummelsburger bay ). The district is crossed by the general route of the main road / Kopenickerstrasse and the railway line to Frankfurt ( Oder). A real village center there is not.
In the north- west of the district is the founder temporal residential Victoria City. Subsequently there to the station Berlin- hype castle and the street in front of Fischer -density development. On the banks of Rummelsburger emerged in the 2000s, partly involving old buildings, the city of waters Rummelsburg. Further towards the south-east dominated industry development and the extensive grounds of the operating station Rummelsburg, maintained in the long-distance trains.
One of the landmarks of the district is located in the southeast hype Petersburg near the river Spree electricity and thermal power station Klingenberg, named after its designer, electrical engineer Georg Klingenberg. It was built in 1925/1926 and was long considered the largest and most modern in Europe. It also represents today a large part of the energy supply of the city of Berlin.
The district has connection to the Berlin S-Bahn network with stations Rummelsburg Betriebsbahnhof Rummelsburg Nöldnerplatz and Lichtenberg (also regional transport and metro ). The Ostkreuz station is on the edge of the hamlet. In addition, the area of the 21 tram and several bus lines is developed.
Business and industry
From the late 19th century to 1945
Large areas in Rummel castle, situated on the main road, developed during the said period to important economic factors in Rummelsburg. These particular contributed the following factories at:
- Knorr -Bremse,
- IG Farben AG acetals,
- Klingenberg power plant,
- Gasworks Lichtenberg with company housing,
- A large market for geese and pigs
- North German ice factories
The construction and operation of a hospital in the Nöldnerstraße and the traffic over the operating and sidings Rummelsburg given the economy in Rummelsburg.
Between 1945 and 1990
As a result of the Second World War, the company Knorr-Bremse and IG Farben were expropriated. The power plant and the gas works were not initially work because of dismantled machines or due to lack of raw materials. It was not until 1952, again a significant production of industrial goods. The factories were state-owned companies. Examples of facilities with high economic performance in Rummelsburg were:
- Berlin Bremsenwerk
- Concrete slab work Rummelsburg the VE- housing combine Berlin operation Part III
- The operating station Rummelsburg
- Today's University of Technology and Economics, Market Street location
As a result of political and economic change since 1990, many businesses were settled gradually. What remained were mainly small or medium-sized craft enterprises. New additions include commercial centers such as the Victoria Centre and car dealerships. In the building of the Berlin brakes work the German pension system is established. The Klingenberg power plant supplies the Berlin electricity market.
On the Rummelsburger goods station was built as a complete rebuilding the Berlin ICE depot of Deutsche Bahn. The ICE - 2 fleet (Series 402) is located here. Today's operating station Rummelsburg divided into two sections: In the southern region, the ICE - hall and in the northern part of the coaches hall is located.
Sons and daughters of the district
- Alfred Kowalke, communist and resistance fighter against National Socialism
- Erwin Nöldner, communist and resistance fighter against National Socialism
- Adolph Simple, local politicians
- Margarete Steffin, actress and writer
Personalities associated with Rummelsburg
- Heinrich Zille, "brush Heinrich", graphic designer, painter and photographer