Ruokolahti [ ruɔkɔlɑhti ] (Swedish historically Ruokolax ) is a municipality in southeastern Finland with 5576 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012). It is situated in the landscape of South Karelia Lake Saimaa. Altogether there are in the field of Ruokolahti over 500 lakes. This makes Ruokolahti a popular location for holiday homes. In the summer, the population of the municipality doubled through the holiday guests.
About 20 km from Imatra is situated, one of the border crossings with Russia.
Ruokolahti was already inhabited 4000-5000 years ago. Testify petroglyphs on the hill Kolmiköytinen. In 1572 Ruokolahti became an independent parish during the Russian period in 1862 today's political community emerged from the. The present church in the village was built in 1854 according to plans by Ernst Lohrmann on the hill Kirkkomäki. One of the most famous works of the painter Albert Edelfelt 's " Old women Ruokolahti on the church hill " (1887 ).
In addition to the cross wooden church and the bell tower with a shingled roof, there is a local history museum. Also located nearby is the Rantalinna castle. The castle was built in the Art Nouveau style and was completed in 1913. From 1915 to 1929, was in possession of the Russian royal couple Eugenia Maximilianova Romanovskaya and Alexander von Oldenburg. Another attraction are the channels of Kutvele, Käyhkää and Kukonharju that were built in the 18th century by Russian soldiers.
Sons and daughters
- Eero Vaara, (1968 - ), Professor at the Swedish School of Economics in Helsinki
- Heimo Haitto (1925-1999), violin player
In 1992 Ruokolahti excited finland far stir when there supposed to be a lion has been spotted in the forest. To date, the truth is not clear, as a possible explanation was put forward, it would have been a lion who had broken out of a Russian circus. In the medial silly season, the incident came across a huge echo. To date, the lion is considered as a mascot of Ruokolahti.