The Rhine-Westphalia Institute for Economic Research eV ( RWI ) is a non-university institution for economic research, based in Essen. In accordance with its Articles of Association, the Institute pursues exclusively and directly charitable, especially scientific purposes. From the media, the Institute is called wirtschaftsnah. The Institute is a member of the Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz ( WGL). The RWI is conducted in private law as a registered association.
The institute was the "Institute for Business Cycle Research " (the present German Institute for Economic Research ), Berlin founded in 1926 by Walther Däbritz as " department west ". Since 1943 it operates legally independent as a registered association.
RWI Essen sees itself as a modern center for scientific research and evidence -based policy advice. Theme for the coming years is the research on " individual prosperity and economic policy options in the demographic and social change ". This leads to the priorities of work align, which are bundled in the following research areas: individual prosperity ( areas of expertise labor markets, education, population and health); Companies and markets ( areas of competence enterprise and innovation, environment and natural resources ); macroeconomic issues ( areas of competence growth and economic and public finance); Data.
President Christoph M. Schmidt. The other members are Prof. Thomas Bauer and Wim Koster. RWI Essen has about eighty employees, of which more than fifty scientists. The core funding in half by the federal government and half by the countries, added, among other third-party funds from opinions.
The RWI is, among others, the Initiative for a New Social Market Economy, RWE, various banks, insurance companies, the steel industry association but also other institutions associated personnel about the members of the Board.
- Community diagnosis
- Among other things, the Institute maintains the RWI economic model ( KoMo or KM) a macroeconomic econometric model based on quarterly figures of the national accounts. This model is used to accompany economic forecast and evaluation of economic policy measures.
- Working Group tax estimates: RWI Essen is a member of the " working group tax estimate ," in which experts predict every year in May and November, the tax revenue for the government.
- CO2 monitoring: On behalf of the Federal Association of German Industry, the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety and the Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology, RWI Essen monitors compliance with the Kyoto Protocol in the field of CO2 reduction by the German economy.
- ESF Evaluation: On behalf of the Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology (BMWi ) examines the RWI the effectiveness of the measures taken by the European Social Fund (ESF ) of the funding period 2000-2006 in Germany.
- Networks: RWI a regular exchange with other scientific institutions, collaborating with many other research institutions and is a member in research networks, including Member of Project LINK ( the international association of macroeconometric models) and a member of the European Economic Network ( YOUR ).
- Youth development: together with the Universities of Bochum, Duisburg -Essen and Dortmund, RWI Essen founded in October 2004, the Ruhr Graduate School in Economics (RGS Econ ). She takes every year to eight doctoral students who are out in three years for PhD. The RGS Econ is a unique in its kind initiative by universities and non-university research institute. Since 2008, the RGS Econ one of 17 NRW Research Schools, which specifically promotes the Ministry of Innovation, Science, Research and Technology of North Rhine -Westphalia excellent doctoral programs at universities and research institutions.
The WDR - TV magazine monitor claims that the RWI has not stated in a solar energy critical opinion that this was funded by a U.S. oil and coal companies lobbying organization, was the Washington Institute for Energy Research funded. RWI replied that the study from the beginning had been called to his home page, the client and the report is essentially a summary and update of previously - there is published work - partly in prestigious scientific journals such as Energy Policy.