Rybinsk (Russian Рыбинск ) is a Russian city in the Yaroslavl Oblast. It is located 280 km north of Moscow at the confluence of the Volga and in Scheksna has 200 771 inhabitants (as of October 14, 2010 ).
The first settlement in the urban area was at the mouth of the Volga in Scheksna later than the first half of the 11th century. The settlement Ust- Scheksna (Russian Усть - Шексна to German about Scheksnamünde ) was a regional center for commerce, trade and metallurgy. In the time of the Tatar - Mongol raids Ust- Scheksna was devastated. The new settlement was now on the right bank of the Volga under a new name Rybnaja sloboda (Russian Рыбная слобода, German fish settlement ) as 1504 in a deed of Grand Duke Ivan III. Vasilyevich is mentioned. The inhabitants gave starlet, White Salmon and sturgeon to the court.
The decision of Peter the Great to the creation of a navigable connection of St. Petersburg with the Volga ( Wyschni Wolotschoker water system, Russian Вышневолоцкая водная система ) was the place for freight transfer station from the south to vessels with shallow draft. Middle of the 18th century, the city had become one of the largest inland ports of Russia, Catherine the Great in 1777 which caused them to adopt a decree on renaming in Rybny Gorod (Russian Город Рыбный, German fishing town ).
The expansion of the rivers Mologa and Scheksna led to a growing importance of the area to Rybinsk for river navigation and grain trade. Mid-19th century, when Rybinsk numbered about 7,000 inhabitants, attracted in the season than 130,000 Treidler through the city, then the main driving force of the ships.
The importance of the grain trade for Rybinsk manifests itself in the fact that here in 1842, the third Corn Exchange was opened in Russia, which was one of the largest and most prominent of Russia nor the beginning of the 20th century. The development of steel foundry, shipbuilding, rope factories and brick kilns and the construction of railway workshops document the industrialization of Rybinsk end of the 19th century. New in the spotlight, the city moved again with the construction of the Rybinsk Reservoir, the second largest artificial lake in Europe ( 4580 km ²) in 1941 until 1947.
From 1946 to 1957, the city Shcherbakov was called (Russian Щербаков ) after the founding member of the Writers' Union of the USSR and head of the political department of the Red Army in World War II, Alexander Shcherbakov, and from 1984 to 1989 Andropov (Russian Андропов ) after the Soviet leader Yuri Andropov.
In the city the POW camp consisted of 259 German prisoners of war of World War II.
Note: Census data
Coat of arms
Description: In red, a blue bar with two golden stairs, which is directed to a beam above the erdfarbigen hill with a growing black bear with a golden left shouldered ax, blade upwards, rich. Two silver Rochester Lette swim towards each other in front of the stairs.
Symbolism: The Most Lette stand for the abundance of water and fish. Over the two staircases Catherine II should have gone to the Cathedral on May 9, 1767. The bear symbolizes membership in the region and Yaroslavl.
The coat of arms and related municipal law are from the time of the Empress. Basis were the decree of August 3, 1777 and the Act of 20 June 1778. The flag image is the coat of arms the same.
Economy and infrastructure
In addition to the hydroelectric power station (330 MW) of the deep-water port along the Volga -Baltic waterway, ship and engineering, and wood and cable industry characterize the economic situation of Rybinsk.
Mologa Museum The Museum in the Preobrajenski Alley 6a ( пер Преображенский. , Д. 6а ) was opened in August 1995. It is dedicated to the creation of Rybinsk reservoir ( Рыбинское водохранилище ) in the 30s of the 20th century, at the flood walls in the 40s a large hydroelectric power plant was built. For the reservoir an area has been flooded on the two towns and about 700 villages were located. The city was a Mologa. Mologoa is, a river that flows into the reservoir in the northwest. The forced abandonment of towns and villages told this museum. The women who take care of the museum to the visitors come from areas directly affected by the resettlement of families.
In Rybinsk there is a ski marathon of Worldloppet series with the Demino Ski Marathon.
- United States Kingsport, United States, since 1989
- United States Johnson City, United States, since 1989
- United States Bristol, United States, since 1989
Sons and daughters of the town
- Olga Vladimirovna Beljakowa (* 1988), Shorttrackerin
- Alexander Alexandrovich Brjuchankow (* 1987), professional triathlete
- Alexei Grigoryevich Kopnin (1918-1991), composer of chess
- Andrei Alexandrovich Brjuchankow (* 1991), professional triathlete
- Genrich Yagoda Grigoryevich (1891-1938), the NKVD chief
- Nikita Sergeyevich Kljukin (1989-2011), ice hockey player
- Lev Ivanovich Oschanin (1912-1996), Soviet poet and writer
- Yegor Gennadjewitsch Podomazki (born 1976 ), professional ice hockey goaltender
- Joseph Schenck (1878-1961), Manager of various film companies in the United States
- Nicholas Schenck (1881-1969), a founder of the film industry in Hollywood
- Maxim Shuvalov Alexeyevich (1993-2011), ice hockey player
- Valerian Tornius (1883-1970), German literature historian, writer and translator
- Alexei Sergeyevich Tsvetkov ( born 1981 ), ice hockey player