Saginaw is a city and the county seat ( county seat ) of Saginaw County in the U.S. state of Michigan. On a total area of 47.1 km ² live 56 263 inhabitants (as of 2007 ), was / is equivalent to a population density of 1,367 inhabitants km ².
Saginaw was once a thriving industrial town, dominated by the wood and automotive industries. Since the 1980s, these industries are engaged in Saginaw descent, which has contributed to strong demographic losses and increased unemployment. Saginaw is located at # 14 in the list of endangered by crime cities in the United States.
In the city are located as institutions of higher education, the Delta College and Saginaw Valley State University. Among the museums of the city, the Saginaw Art Museum.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Dwayne Adway (* 1969), actor
- Robert Armstrong (1890-1973), actor in King Kong and the white woman
- Sophina Brown ( born 1976 ), actress
- Wilber Marion Brucker (1894-1968), Republican Governor of Michigan, and later Defense Minister of the United States
- E. Irving Couse (1866-1936), artist and co-founder of the Taos art colony
- Robert G. Heft (1941-2009), designed the current American flag
- Ed Heinemann (1908-1991), designed as an aircraft designer for Douglas Aircraft more than 20 types of aircraft
- Theodore Roethke (1908-1963), poet
- Serena Williams ( b. 1981 ), tennis player
- Stevie Wonder ( born 1950 ), pop and soul singer and composer
- Stephen Lynch (born 1971 ), singer and comedian
- Sonny Stitt (1924-1982), saxophonist of the bebop and hard bop
- Tokushima, Japan
- Zapopan, Mexico
- Awka, Nigeria