Sailing at the 2012 Summer Olympics

At the 2012 Olympic Games in London 2012 ten competitions were held in sailing from July 29 to August 11, four for women and six for men. Venue was the Weymouth and Portland National Sailing Academy between Weymouth and the Isle of Portland, about 190 kilometers from the city center of London on England's south coast.

The IOC had modified the competition program in comparison to Beijing in 2008. Instead eleven only ten competitions were held. Been removed were the open Boat Class Tornado and the woman Yngling class. New to the program was the class Elliott 6m, which was held as a match race for women. The 2008 still managed as open classes in Beijing 49er and Finn Dinghy now officially listed as a Men's competition after in these classes in the past almost exclusively men were lined up.

  • 3.1 windsurfing RS: X
  • 3.2 Laser Radial
  • 3.3 470
  • 3.4 Match Race Elliott 6m
  • 5.1 Qualification Criteria
  • 5.2 qualifying competitions with number of quota places
  • 5.3 Won quota places

Competitions and schedule

Results Men

Windsurfing RS: X

Medal Race: August 7, 2012, 13:00 Clock


Medal Race: August 6, 2012, 14:00 Clock


Medal Race: August 10, 2012, 13:00 Clock

Finn Dinghy

Medal Race: August 5, 2012, 14:00 Clock


Medal Race: August 8, 2012, 13:00 Clock

Star boat

Medal Race: 5 August 2012, 13:00 Clock

Results Women

Windsurfing RS: X

Medal Race: August 7, 2012, 14:00 Clock

Laser Radial

Medal Race: August 6, 2012, 13:00 Clock


Medal Race: August 10, 2012, 13:00 Clock

Match Race Elliott 6m

Final: August 11, 2012, 13:05 Clock

The races for the places 5-8 had to be canceled due to insufficient wind. It thus included the results of the Round Robin.

Medal Tally


Qualification criteria

There are 380 athletes take part in the competitions, 136 women and 228 men. Each country may nominate one boat per class, for a total maximum of 16 athletes. Great Britain is guaranteed as hosts in each class a quota place. Main qualifying competition were the World Championships of all classes, 2011 in Perth, in which 75 percent of all quota places were awarded a class. Other regattas were the ISAF World Sailing Championships in each class in 2012, in which the remaining 25 percent of the quota places were awarded in each class. Found in a class 2012, no World Championships, ISAF hosted a qualifying regatta in which the quota places were achieved. Landed a boat of NOCs, which had already reached a quota place in this class, at a qualifying regatta 2012 on a place that guaranteed a quota place, so got this the next best boat without a quota place.

Qualifying competitions with number of quota places

List of qualifying competitions:

  • ISAF World Championships ( all classes) in New Zealand Perth 3rd to December 18th, 2011
  • Elliott Qualification Regatta in United States Miami, September 1 to February 5, 2012
  • RS: X World Championship in Spain Cádiz 20th to March 28, 2012
  • Star World Championship in Hyeres France Geneva, 2 to May 12, 2012
  • Laser World Championship ( men) in Germany Bolton 4th to May 10th, 2012
  • 49er World Championship in Croatia Zadar 4th to May 13th, 2012
  • 470 World Championships in Barcelona Spain 10th to May 19th, 2012
  • Laser World Championship ( women) in Germany Bolton 15th to May 20th, 2012

Won quota places

In the Laser Radial women Philipine Van Aanholt qualified from the Netherlands Antilles. The NOC of the overseas territory is no longer recognized by its resolution, so a start as an Independent Olympic athlete is being considered. Total won athletes from 56 different NOCs quota places.

For women, New Zealand and the Netherlands gave windsurfing back their quota places to the World Federation, renounced in the men's windsurfing Australia, Israel and Switzerland in the laser and Germany in the Finn Dinghy for participation. The vacant quota places obtained the NOC from Egypt, the Cook Islands, Saint Lucia, Kyrgyzstan, Monaco and Montenegro.

Overall, athletes from 63 different NOCs qualified for the Olympic regattas.