Saint George F.C.
The Saint George Sports Association or shortly Saint- George SA is a football club based in Addis Ababa in Ethiopia. Play their home games in the club from Addis Ababa Stadium.
The club was founded by the Greeks, the Italians invaded in the Abyssinian war in 1935 into the country. Founded by Ayele Atnash and George Ducas, the club is a symbol of nationalism and freedom of Ethiopia was fast. After the Italians withdrew in 1937, the club turned a symbol of the identity of many Ethiopians. Since there were no other football clubs in Ethiopia, was only played against foreign clubs.
1947 First Ethiopian Football League was founded, fought for the championship in the three teams. 1950 succeeded Saint- George the first win of the championship. Two years later they won for the first time the Ethiopian Cup in 1953 they defended the title. In 1967 she took part for the first time at the African Cup of Champions Clubs. Ready for the first participation is advanced to the semi-finals, which they lost to eventual winners Tout Puissant Mazembe. This was the first and last time that the club reached more than the second round. 1975 succeeded the first entry into the African Cup Winners' Cup, but separated already in the first round of the tournament. After six times won the championship in the 90's, you made it in the 2000s eight times the title since the 2007 /08 season, the club is continuously champions. In November 2007, the association began raising money for the construction of a new stadium. From 80 million Birr, took Sheikh Mohammed Hussein Al Amoudi, 80 percent of funding.
- Ethiopian Premier League ( 22x): 1950, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1971, 1975, 1987, 1991, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012
- Ethiopian Cup (9x): 1952, 1953, 1957, 1973, 1974, 1977, 1993, 1999, 2011
- Ethiopian Supercup ( 8x): 1994, 1995, 1996, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2009
Performance in CAF competitions
- CAF Champions League: 19 appearances
- CAF Cup: 1 Participation
- African Cup Winners' Cup: 3 appearances
- CAF Confederation Cup: 1 Participation