Saint-Max is a commune with 9707 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2011 ) in the department of Meurthe -et -Moselle in the Lorraine region. The city has an area of ​​185 acres and is the capital of the canton of the same name.


Saint-Max is on the eastern equivalent to the 48th parallel of latitude, Nancy opposite bank of the Meurthe. It extends to the southern slopes of the Plateau de Sainte -Geneviève and the Plateau de Malzéville at an altitude 193-342 meters. About two bridges of the city is connected to Nancy. Other surrounding communities are (clockwise) Malzéville, Dommartemont, Essey- lès -Nancy and Tomblaine.

The location by pulling water courses are channeled underground.


Saint-Max was first mentioned in 1263 under the name of Saint- Mard. " Mard " is a distortion of the name Médard (Latin: Medardus ) a canonized bishop who lived in northern France in the 5th and 6th centuries.

The current name is first occupied in 1772. In between, there were the names of Saint- Marc ( 15th century ), Sainct -May, Sainct -Marc, Sainct Mach and Saint- Maix (16th century) and Saint- Mâ (17th century). During the French Revolution the name part " Saint " was ( German: " Santa" ) is suppressed and the place to Mâ -la -Montagne or Mex -la -Montagne.


The village was founded in a small, probably fortified, religious building environment. Meanwhile preserved tower is the bell tower of the present church of Saint- Médard. From the year 1263, in the reign of Duke Friedrich III. of Upper Lorraine, comes his first written record.

In the 16th century the town was known for its wine. In 1870 he is described as a small village whose houses were grouped mainly around the church. Only at the bridge to Essey existed a few other buildings.

The Treaty of Frankfurt, which struck in 1871 parts of Lorraine to the German Empire, led to an influx of people in the French territory retarded. From the strong growth of Nancy benefited umgliegenden communities from the villages were suburbs. 1866 was one of Saint- Max has 430 inhabitants, whose number grew to 1911 to approximately 3000. The establishment of industries in the lower quarters of Nancy, along the railway line between Paris and Strasbourg and the Canal de la Marne au Rhin, population trends were also influential.

To the Church of Saint- Livii from 1883 and the newly created main street, Rue Carnot was a quarter, which became the new center of the town. 1881 reached the horse-drawn tram from Nancy the municipal boundary at the Pont d' Essey on the Meurthe. In 1903, a range of electric tram along the Av. Carnot approved towards Essey, probably before 1908 went into operation. On December 2, 1958 this line was set as the last tram Nancy, 1983, instead, a trolley bus has been established.


Even during the world wars and the interwar period, the population grew steadily. After the Second World War, the government promoted the construction of apartment buildings, thereby created new streets and neighborhoods. Almost the entire municipality is now built on. 1968 was achieved with 12489 inhabitants, the population maximum, since the number of inhabitants declined again.


Major axis is the leading from Nancy to Essey- les-Nancy, Avenue Carnot or Territory road 2074th It begins at the bridge over the Meurthe and leads straight to the northeast by Essey. Over their entire length run trolleybuses line 1 of the Tramway de Nancy, apart from Einfädelungsbereich the tracking on the western edge directed by the driver of the road space. The line has three stops in the community.

Parallel to the river runs on the western edge of the Rue Alexandre 1er the Territory road 32A, north of Avenue Carnot, the department road 33A. The nearest train station is about three kilometers away, Nancy train station, which is accessible to change trains to the Tramway.


Sons and daughters of the town

  • Manuel da Costa ( born 1986 ), Portuguese footballer


Born in Saint-Max footballer Manuel da Costa in the jersey of Lokomotiv Moscow