Saint- Piat is a commune with 1141 inhabitants (as of January 1, 2011 ) in the department of Eure- et- Loir in the Centre region. It belongs to the community association Terrasses et Vallées de Maintenon.
Saint- Piat consists of the town center and its two hamlets Grogneul and Changé. It is located 13 kilometers northeast of Chartres between Mévoisins in the Northeast and Chartainvilliers in the southwest. The Eure flows through the municipal area.
In the hamlet Changé are dolmens, whose function were examined during excavations from 1983 to 2000. It is a burial site from the Neolithic period. The area was so populated even at that time.
The community was named after a local saint ( Piatus ), who was beheaded in the 5th century. In the 18th century it was called the town of Saint - Piat sur Eure, Eure because the flows through the town center. During the French Revolution (1789-1799), it was renamed Martel -les -Vaux, because religious place names were not desired. 1793 Saint- Piat received the status of a municipality and in 1801 the right to local self-government.
In 1849, Saint- Piat had a station of the Paris- Chartres. In 1863 the vineyards were infested by phylloxera, which meant the end of vineyards in Saint- Piat.
The first kiln of brick Lambert was taken in 1859 in operation. The brickyard was located near a clay and a sand pit, and the train station. Between 1880 and 1910, a Hoffmann shear ring furnace was installed, which is well preserved until today. The brickyard was operated by the same family until the last Ziegler James Lambert died in 1997. The brickyard was closed, it was the last brick in Eure- et- Loir. It is privately owned and was registered in the Register of Monuments historiques additional 1999.
Two windows of a half-timbered house dating from the 16th century in the village of Saint- Piat are still in original condition. They are also recorded in the supplementary list of Monuments historiques.
In the Church of Saint- Piat there are several objects that are classified as a monument historique, including a StuI in the style of Louis XVI, an armless statue of Saint Piatus from the 16th century and a bronze holy water font of 1474th