Saint-Pierre de Montmartre

The church of Saint -Pierre de Montmartre belongs next to the former abbey church of Saint- Germain -des- Prés and Saint- Martin-des -Champs as a Romanesque building of the oldest churches in Paris. It stands on the hill of Montmartre, close to the Sanctuary of the Sacred Heart, in the Rue du Mont -Cenis No. 2 in the 18th arrondissement. Next to the church of Saint -Jean de Montmartre church dedicated to the Apostle Peter is one of the two parish churches of Montmartre.


At the site of the present church there was probably already in the 7th century a chapel. This is indicated by Merovingian sarcophagi that were found at the church. 1133 founded the French King Louis VI. thickness with his wife Adelheid of Savoy on Montmartre a Benedictine convent. At that time the present church, which was built in 1147 by Pope Eugene III. was dedicated. After the death of Louis VI. Adelaide retired to the convent where she died in 1154. Her grave stone stands in the north aisle of the church. The church was used both as a parish church as well as a monastery church. The spaces among the first three Jochen served as a parish church and was ordained the apostle Peter, the eastern part of the church was reserved for the nuns and Mary and St. Dionysius of Paris (French Saint Denis ) consecrated.

1622 was believed to have rediscovered the location of the sanctum martyrdom under a chapel on the monastery belonging to the terrain on which around the year 250 - according to legend - St. Dionysius and his two companions Rusticus and Eleutherius to have been beheaded. At this point, in the Rue Yvonne -le- Tac No. 11, about 300 meters from their monastery buildings, the Benedictines built a priory, which they called Abbaye d' en bas (lower Abbey ). 1686 gave the Benedictine their original monastery, the Abbaye d' en haut (upper Abbey ), on and settled in the lower abbey. The monastery buildings the upper abbey were demolished, only the church, which was still used as a parish church, was preserved. During the Revolution of 1789 and the lower abbey was dissolved and the building demolished.

1794 Tower for the first developed by Claude Chappe telegraph was built on the roof of the choir of Saint- Pierre de Montmartre. In the 19th century the church fell so much that it was almost demolished. From 1899 to 1905 there was a total renovation.


Saint- Pierre de Montmartre is a three-aisled basilica with a nave vierjochigen. About the pointed arches resting on pillars with columns templates and disconnect the wider nave of the two side aisles, a triforium connects. The transept barely protrudes above the nave beyond. Between the transept and the apse is a three-part choir bay. The northern apse is the oldest part of the church. She is wearing a half-dome of irregular masonry and is lit by two arched windows. The southern apse is stronger restored. The central apse with its slender columns, their capitals with rolled leaves, and its cross-ribbed vaults already refers to the Gothic. It is illuminated by three large arched windows.

The transverse arches at the entrance to the apse, resting on recycled granite columns from the 2nd / 3rd Century date and their Marmorkapitelle be dated to the 7th century. The ornamented with palmettes and foliage Kalksteinkapitelle the pillars on which rest the ogival arches of the shield Chorjoches, are Romanesque. The vault of the crossing rests on pillars, which twelve slender columns are upstream. Large pointed arches open the transept to the choir as to the transept arms and to the longhouse. Subsequent to the yoke crossing of the nave has major irregularities and the development time before 1147 is attributed. The pillars of the first yoke, the lower part of the column is cut off templates. There, the separation between the nuns' choir and the altar of the parish church was attached. The ribbed vaults of the nave dates from the late 15th century. The groined vault of the aisles were rebuilt in the restoration in the early 20th century.

In the side aisles capitals have received, which are decorated with acanthus and palm leaf or have figurative scenes, such as the appearance of a man who sits astride a billy goat, which is interpreted as a symbol of fornication. The inside of the west facade flanking similar to the pillars in the middle choir bay - two re-used columns from Roman times with Marmorkapitellen from the 7th century. On a capital one paws cross is carved on the Eckvolute.

The west facade of the church was rebuilt in the 18th century.

Leaded glass windows

The stained glass windows of the church were created 1953/54, by Max Ingrand ( 1908-1969 ). On the middle choir window, crucifixion of Christ is shown. The left window is Peter, the patron saint of the church, dedicated to St and the right window. Dionysius, who is venerated as a martyr and the first bishop of Paris. The windows of the nave depict scenes from the life of the Apostle Peter dar. On the south side is his vocation, reminding his appointment to the episcopate, his release from prison and his crucifixion. The windows of the north side depict the discovery of the tribute money, his walk across the water, and the denial of Jesus.


  • In the southern apse is an oval-shaped baptismal font, on which a coat of arms, the Apostle Peter, the two keys, and the date 1537 are carved.
  • In the north aisle is the grave stone of Adelaide of Savoy, the founder of the monastery.
  • In the northern apse is the grave stone of the penultimate abbess of the convent, Catherine de la Rochefoucauld (d. 1760) was obtained.
  • The bronze doors of the entrance portal comes as the Way of the Cross in the church of the sculptor Tommaso Gismondi from the year 1980.


The organ loft goes back to the 18th century, the organ by Aristide Cavaillé -Coll was built in 1869. The instrument has 12 stops on two manuals and pedal. The play and Registertrakturen are mechanical.

  • Couplers: II / I (also known as Suboktavkoppel ), I / P, II / P
  • Tremblant ( for the whole organ)