Saltaire is a Victorian model village was founded in 1851 at Bradford City Metropolitan Borough of Bradford West Yorkshire. It was named the settlement after its founder Sir Titus Salt and the River Aire, in the valley of the settlement lies.
The textile manufacturer Titus Salt in 1851 shifted his company from Bradford in today's Saltaire, where he was at the newly built factory Salts Mill create a working class neighborhood for about 3,000 workers and their families in accordance with the then most modern social and sanitary principles. In addition to the workers' houses created numerous community facilities, including a church, a school, a park, a hospital, laundry and bath houses, a poorhouse, allotments and an educational institute with a library, reading room, a concert hall and gym count. At the Leeds and Liverpool Canal boat house for the residents and a harbor were built for the factory. In the usual English villages Pub was waived transfer of Titus Salt; it is unclear whether this was due to health reasons or should prevent the possible formation of a union in a Salt difficult to kontrollierendem room.
The buildings of yellow stone are decorated in the style of the Italian Renaissance. Titus Salt commissioned the then most famous architects in the planning and execution, for the overall planning and houses the office of Lockwood and Mawson signed preparing the plans.
In the former factory buildings there are now a wide variety of uses, in addition to an exhibition of the works of David Hockney and the Harmonium Museum Victorian Reed Organ Museum are kept there also a shopping center, apartments and a manufacturer of consumer electronics devices.
Saltaire is today counted among the world's most important model settlements of the 19th century. The settlement was recorded in collaboration with the industrial landscape Derwent Valley and New Lanark in the UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2001 and is a so-called Anchor Point of the European Route of Industrial Heritage. The United Reformed Church of 1859 is considered one of the most important Victorian church building in Britain.